1. To get a retirement estimate go to www.michigan.gov/ors
a. Click on benefit estimator
b. Fill in information – you can change information and see what works best for
your situation. Unless you are close to retirement and know your exact
information, these are only best guess estimations.
2. Submit a letter of retirement to the Board of Education with date of retirement.
3. If applicable, review your union contract for any other retirement issues that may be
4. Go to the Office of Retirement (ORS) site for guidelines and forms
a. Click on Public School Employees Retirement System
b. Click on Ready to Retire
c. Under the 6th month guidelines there is an important link – How to apply
d. Click on how to apply for all necessary forms to print
e. Under the How to apply there is also a link called Contact ORS
f. Click on Contact ORS and you will find a variety of options to contact a
representative or where to mail your forms.
5. At the time of retirement, your current health insurance will end and you will begin
insurance with the retirement system.
6. Any supplemental insurance such as AFLAC becomes your own responsibility. The last
month of employment, our office terminates the ISD as the payer and designates the
retiree as direct pay. The company should contact you regarding your future options.
7. Schedule an exit interview with the Business/Human Resource office.