Choose three of the following questions to answer. Answer the questions in short essay
format. Make sure your arguments are well-supported by specific examples from the
1. The definition of the word kindred is as follows:
Kindred--A group of related persons, as a clan or tribe.
--(used with a pl. verb) A person's relatives; kinfolk.
--Of the same ancestry or family: kindred clans.
--Having a similar or related origin, nature, or character: kindred emotions.
Kindred soul can also be used to describe somebody who shares your heart, your soul
mate, in not necessarily a romantic way. In the novel Kindred, who is Dana’s kindred
soul during her time in the Antebellum South? Support your answer with specifics from
2. Rufus is a conflicted character throughout the novel. Identify his conflict and what
ultimately characterizes his actions. Use specific support from the text to make your
3. What is the author’s purpose in using the time travel technique? Use specific support
from the novel to assist you in generating your argument.
4. Nigel tells Dana that the act of Carrie wiping Dana’s skin is meant to convey to Dana
that color doesn’t come off. He says, “She means it doesn’t come off, Dana…The black.
She means the devil with people who say you’re anything but what you are” (224). What
is the significance of this type of act? Are their ‘traitors’ in this novel? Why are they
traitors? (I am not asking you to explain the quote, but rather what implications are of a
society that believes color can either be erased or is a permanent mark of behavior?)
5. Does Dana’s presence in Rufus’ life impact him in any significant way? Why or why
not? Is it for the best? Use textual support to make your argument.
6. In the final chapter entitled, “The Rope”, what finally leads Dana to kill Rufus? What
is the significance of this killing? What is your opinion about why she kills him? Use
evidence to support your arguments.
7.What is significant about Dana’s arm being cut off at the end? What is its importance
throughout the novel and as she ends the time travel. Use evidence to support your