Searching the Internet
The internet is a great resource of information. It makes millions of topics available to
you just by clicking a mouse. But how do you sort through those millions of topics to find
the one or two that you really need?
Good searching skills are very important if you are going to be able to use the Internet
well. Here are some basic rules to make your surfing time easier.
2. Web Address ‘Guessing’
For many sites belonging to a company or organization you can actually guess the web
Eg, anz, nasa, woolworths
Add the appropriate domain name (usually .com)
.com for ________________________
.edu for _________________________
.org for _________________________
.gov for ________________________
.net for _________________________
Add the country domain suffix (Note that the United States usually doesn’t have one)
.au for ___________________
.ca for ____________________
.uk for ____________________
.nz for _____________________
Imagine you are trying to guess the following web sites. Write your best web ‘guess’ for
the web address
Eg, Penrith Panthers – www.panters.org.au
1. Holy Cross College - ______________________________________
2. Commonwealth Bank - ____________________________________
3. Kevin Rudd - ____________________________________________
4. Parliament House _________________________________________
5. Queen Elizabeth __________________________________________
6. Eiffel Tower _____________________________________________
7. Big Ben _________________________________________________
8. Canadian Prime Minister ____________________________________
9. TAFE ___________________________________________________
Search Engines – remember to use lower case for search words except proper nounse
Use key words to find
1. How large do lions grow?
2. What is the tallest mountain
3. When did Nelson Mandela become president?
4. Movie schedule for HOYTS on the weekend?
5. What breed of dog makes a good guard dog?
6. Michael Jackson’s first number 1 song?
7. Why is the ocean blue?
8. When Kevin Rudd became Prime Miniters?
9. Information on Monarch Butterflies?
10. What do elephants eat?