Shearwater Community Council
PO Box 240
Shearwater NS B0J 3A0
01 Sep 2011
MINUTES OF SHEARWATER COMMUNITY COUNCIL (SCC)
MONTHLY MEETING – 01 Sep 2011
Chairperson: MCpl Glen Johnson, Mayor
MCpl Glen Johnson, Mayor
Cpl Kirk Kreitzer, Advertising Rep, Lower Councillor
Cpl Krysti Fawcett, Special Events Co-ord, Ex-Offico Member
MWO Jason Johnson, Upper Councillor
MWO Don Forbes, Upper Councillor
Cpl Jeremy Roche, Lower Councillor
Pte Chris Richardson, Upper Councillor
CWO Poitras, 12 Wing CWO
Linda Rodie, FCE ReqO 2 I/C
Sgt Colleen Wright, 12 Wing MPLO
Harold White, Health Promotion Services
Margaret Brown, CFHA Mgr
Nancy Belanger, MFRC Community Info Services
Cpl Glenn Keefe, Deputy Mayor – sick
LS Jordan Lingard, Upper Councillor – Annual Leave
Cpl Cody Parker, Lower Councillor – Annual Leave
Cpl June Dunn, Upper Councillor – deployed
Stacey Robichaud, PSP Community Director – work commitment
1. The Chair opened the meeting at 1330 hrs at the Hampton Grey Bldg. Welcomed and
introduced new member Linda Rodie, FCE ReqO 2 I/C, to the WCWO and other Council
members present. Mayor mentioned several significant items that occurred over the summer
months: the NS Legislature Resolution 1518 paperwork was received; he received a BComd
Commendation, on behalf of the SCC, on 25 Jul and; he had been invited to be a Sandcastle
judge for the 2011 Family Fun Day at MacDonald Beach on 14 Aug. Memos of Appreciation ref
Resolution and Commendation to be drafted and sent through Chain of Command. Minutes of
the 09 Jun 11 meeting were reviewed with no errors or omissions.
On going topics discussed and/or items Closed Action By
2. Constitution amendments – Re-opened – to be looked at by all members. All
3. Signage – Email read by Jason ref sign changes within the Shearwater Jason
Community: Banshee Yield onto Martlett changed to Stop; 2 Stops removed from
Martlett/Banshee; and Yield from Firefly onto Swordfish changed to Stop. Two
more sign changes WRT Stops at Seafury/Harvard and Avenger/Harvard still to
be completed. Awaiting word from FCE on 7 x Community Entrances signs.
4. SCC Website –Kirk and Stacey to continue discussions via email. Kirk is Kirk
to contact Bob Delong. New maintenance invoice of $30 received from Stacey
Webmaster, payment to be made prior to 15 Sep. Mayor will deposit this from
5. Parks – Linda explained that of the 7 Base parks, 2 were certified. New Linda
inspectors are required, as no personnel within FCE hold qualification. FCE
looking into new equipment and will bring drawings to next meeting. Mayor
forwarded past email discussions ref new equipment replacement from previous
inspector to WCWO and Linda.
6. CNC Pin – Emails have been sent to Jill Clarke, MFRC Volunteer Nancy
Services, inquiring about Glenn, Greg and Melissa’s pins. Nancy queried and
received no positive response.
7. Budget –Council to draft memo for Yearly Operating Budget Expenditure Mayor
to MRC; with - how much should we ask for yearly; Forecast how the money will Stacey
be used; Build in event costs (in case of no donations).
8. Fall Yard Sale event – Jordan to OPI. To be held on 10 Sep 11 – Rain date Mayor
11 Sep 11.
9. Community BBQ event – 17 Sep 11. Permission was granted from Chain Krysti
of Command. Notice is being placed on both Corsair and Gym signs. Seafire Ave Mayor
to be barricaded from 1500 to 1900 hours by MPs; loan of BBQ from 12 AMS,
several SCC members volunteered their propane tanks; Krysti to purchase
corn/hot dogs and condiments; Bounce Kingdom, popcorn, Robin’s coffee/eggs,
hockey equipment, 50/50 tickets for Hope Camp to be purchased and Balloon
Twister committed; and awaiting commitment of Face Painter from Jordan still.
Advance cheque of $400 requested, awaiting confirmation for pick up from
Stacey. Final preparations/commitments will be updated as required prior to
10. Annual Beautification Contest –Judging took place on Thursday, 25 Aug Closed
by BComd, BCPO and Local MLA Becky Kent. Winners posted on SCC Notice
Updates from CE, CFHA, Health & Wellness, MFRC, MPLO, PSP Presenter
11. CE – Linda spoke briefly on entrance signage, crosswalk painting and bus Linda
shelter. Corsair construction on hold again this year. Linda will present more at
next meeting after reviewing previous SCC minutes and emails concerning FCE.
12. CFHA –Upgrades of garages, patio doors on selected RHUs, driveway Margaret
paving/widening still ongoing. New wall being constructed on Banshee and
drainage being done for some RHUs.
13. Health Promotion Services – Harold brought Health Promotions Fall Harold
Programming pamplets reference services available for Shearwater (spouses
included); evenings classes can be booked but are to be identified specifically in
order to co-ordinate.
14. MFRC – Jessica Mugridge has left to further her education. Summer Nancy
highlights were; “Movie Under the Stars” event was held on 15 July weekend,
approx attendance of 400, great success. 24/25 Jun – DND Family Days at
dockyard – another great success; and Family Fun Day at MacDonald Beach on
14 Aug proved to be another great event. Upcoming events are Home Alone
program; Apple picking on 11 Sep; Dad and me event; Craig Blake Fitness
Challenge on 16 Sep and Harvest Fest in conjunction with Wing Fly Day coming
on 22 Oct tentatively.
15. MPLO – School starting soon, so more visibility will be seen during Sgt Wright
school bus timings. MP Bike Patrol will finish on 15 Sep, great success with
many praises and accolades received. Neighborhood watch still being looked
into. No movement on Truro’s Robo-Cop.
New topics discussed Presenter
16. Meeting Place – Mayor suggested using Baden Powell as a permanent Mayor
location. Was advised by WCWO and Nancy that it is already committed for
other use. SCC will continue to use Hampton Grey or Messes for meetings.
17. Camera – Krysti suggested Council to purchase camera for future events. Krysti
All agreed to purchase one at a cost of not to exceed $300.
18. Garbage Bins – It has been noticed that residents have been placing their Nancy
personal household garbage in various garbage bins on the Wing, most noticeably
at the MFRC/Canex.
19. Next meeting to be changed from 06 Oct to 13 Oct due to Mayor being
on course and Deputy Mayor was not present to confirm his ability to chair the
20. Meeting was adjourned at 1515 hrs. All were thanked for their attendance
and participation. Next meeting on Thursday 13 Oct 11 at 1330 hrs. Location and
agenda will be sent out at least one week prior to meeting. All Agenda items for
next meetings to be sent to Mayor and Deputy Mayor prior to meeting.
Original copy signed by
Distribution List (emailed)
12 Wing CWO
CFB Halifax CPO
CFHA Housing Manager
Community Recreation Director
MFRC Community Relations
PSP Fitness and Sports
PSP Health Promotion Services
FCE Requirements Officer