Chapter 12 Vocabulary & Questions
First Name ___________________________ Last Name__________________________ Period ______
Write down and define the vocabulary “TERMS” from page 270 in your text on a separate piece of paper.
You will need to use the definitions from the Glossary in the back of your text!
CH 12 Guided Reading Questions:
Sec 1 Pgs. 270-279:
1. What was the British strategy for winning the war, what problems did they face in the South and
what major European country came to our aid? Pg. 271
2. Why did the British come to Georgia and who was placed under arrest with the condition they that
they refrained from contacting the Royal Navy?
3. Who won the Battle of the Rice Boats? Please give a detailed reason for your answer!
4. What body of government had the most power in GA under “The Rules & Regulations of 1776?”
5. What did those men loyal to the king do when the British left and how did the patriots respond?
6. Why did the Indians in Georgia side with the British government and the loyalist and would you have
done the same? Explain!
7. What was the outcome for the patriots from Georgia’s attempt to attack the loyalist in Florida and
who died as a result of an argument over who was to blame?
8. What happened to the parishes under the Constitution of 1777 and for whom were they named?
9. Why do you think land or wealth ownership was used as a requirement to vote or hold office? What
do people, even today, associate with a person’s ability to obtain wealth and property?
10. What powers did the House of Assembly have under the new constitution and why did they set it up
Sec 2 Pgs. 280-291
1. Why do you think France waited until the outcome of the Battle of Saratoga to join our cause, what
did the French contribute to our cause and why did the British come to the South?
2. Why did all three attempts to invade Florida fail?
3. What happened to the first attempt to invade GA and how hard was it to take Savannah in the 2nd try?
4. Summarize in a bullet point list the events surrounding the British attempt to control Augusta and the
5. Answer the Map Skill question on pg. 283 and tell me why the Battle of Kettle Creek was an
important victory for GA patriots?
6. Why was Austin Dabney given his freedom and what concessions were given to him for his service?
7. Describe the situation in GA after the Battle of Brier Creek. Who was in control of what?
8. What was Count D’Estaing’s battle strategy for the Siege of Savannah and what was the outcome for
Savannah and the eventual fate of Charleston?
9. Tell me your overall opinion of Nancy Hart after reading all of the stories on pg. 287. Please give an
example from one of the stories that can back up your opinion.
10. What was the outcome of Thomas Brown’s attempt to take Augusta and why do you think Henry Lee
was more successful?
11. What was the last major battle of the Revolutionary War and how did Savannah end up in patriot
12. Research Question: Tell me about the role French Haitians had in the Siege of Savannah. Check
Franklin Square in Savannah. Across the street from the monument is the best pizza in GA!!!