St Edmund Hall
POST: ASSISTANT LIBRARIAN - MATERNITY COVER
GRADE GRADE 4
RESPONSIBLE TO: COLLEGE LIBRARIAN
MAIN OBJECTIVE: TO ASSIST THE LIBRARIAN IN THE ADMINISTRATION OF THE COLLEGE LIBRARY.
1. To deputise for the Librarian in her absence.
2. To contribute to the policy, planning and development of the Library and its services.
3. To assist in the development of the Library’s automated systems and other IT
4. To introduce new readers to the Library and help with reader enquiries.
5. To promote effective use of the Library’s collections, as well as other library and
information resources in Oxford and elsewhere.
6. To catalogue, classify and process new material using the AACR-2 and MARC standard.
7. To assist the Librarian in managing both the college’s Old Library collection of rare and
archival materials and other special collections.
8. To assist the Librarian in maintaining library order, security and discipline and to
maintain day to day order and tidiness within the library building.
9. To manage serials (check-in, set-up and binding consignments).
10. To oversee equipment for student use: photocopier and ensure that computers are all
operational and to clear unwanted files.
11. To oversee the annual shelf check.
12. To monitor self–issue and security system.
13. To supervise student helpers.
14. To liaise, where necessary, with Tutors regarding book lists.
15. To contribute to the development, implementation and fundraising projects for the
16. Any other relevant duties as may be required by the Librarian or Library Fellow.
Fellows, students, academic staff, suppliers, college maintenance and domestic departments
and other academic libraries.
This Job Description may be reviewed in conjunction with the post holder and in the light of
changes within the requirements of the Library and/or the College.
BM/NJ Sept 12