Visual Basic .NET
Chapter 1 Quiz Review
An Introduction to
Visual Basic .NET and
Chapter One Review
• Step-by-step series of instructions
telling the computer what to do.
• The process of writing these
instructions is called what?
Chapter One Review
• People who design and write
–Programmers or software
• A collection of one or more programs
• The process of writing applications
Microsoft Visual Basic .NET?
• A programming environment that allows you to
build programs for the Windows operating
system or any system that supports Microsoft’s
• VB.NET is based on the what programming
– Visual Basic which evolved from BASIC
• The process of writing a program using a
programming language is called what?
• Machine Cycle – how a computer processes
information -- 4 Steps!
– Fetch: gets line of instruction
– Decode: translates code from programming
to machine language
– Execute: executes the line of code
– Store: stores the results of the code in the
• Runs in a Windows Environment. Has a
– Windows Applications
• Runs from your web browser. Converts
the VB to HTML. Has a user-interface.
– Web Applications
• Have a user-interface. Runs from a
– Console Applications
• Runs behind the scenes in Windows. No
– Windows Services
• Runs behind the scenes on the web. No
– Web Services
• No user-interface. Shared by programmers.
The Development Cycle
You work at a color copy center. Your boss would
like a new windows application for the sales
staff. The basic requirements are as follows:
• User’s should be able to input the number of copies and
the paper type.
• Copies usually cost $1.00 each. If the customers
purchase 50 or more copies, they get a discounted price
of $0.80 each.
• The total price is calculated by multiplying copies x
• The program should display the number of copies, paper
type, and total price.
• Please draw a flowchart and a storyboard for the
following application. 16