HIGH LEGH IMPLEMENTATION PROJECT: VILLAGE APPEARANCE
Tuesday 24th January 2012 7.30 pm Village Hall Meeting Room
Chris Johnson (in the chair), Richard Cornwall-Legh, Tim Pearce, Marianne Dobson, Celia Critchley, Frank Henderson,
Richard Moody, Chris Marsland, Katherine Perera, Ann Woolf, John Cope (Secretary).
GUESTS: Colin Wilkinson (Pheasant Walk), Diana Montgomery & Audrey Nixon (Whitsun Close).
APOLOGIES: Gary Pemberton , Julie Morton
MEETING -Chris J opened the meeting in Gary’s absence welcoming Group members & guests.
1) Gary has asked for a volunteer to co-chair the VA Group with him. Celia has offered and was approved with thanks
2) Matter arising. None that are not covered further on.
3) Play Area. Chris J drew attention to the minutes of the last meeting and the recent CA Magazine article regarding
this, our first project for action.
She asked Marianne & Richard C-L to outline a work programme. They envisaged an implementation period of about
one month to source plants, prepare the ground & relocate Buddleias & replace with native hedging species eg
blackthorn, holly. Marianne & Richard C-L have since inspected the site and confirmed no particular difficulty. They
can provide an estimate of cost for plants, mulch, rabbit guards & any equipment hire to Chris J for the HLPPIG
meeting on 21/02.
March 10th & 17th, both Saturdays, were proposed for preparation & planting. Marianne & Richard C-L, kindly offered
to supervise & volunteers would be sought from VA Group circulation & CA What’s On newsletter to work 2-3 hour
shifts each day between 10am & 4pm.
John will prepare a note for Gail Coenen copied to Tim and Celia will produce a notice for Village notice boards.
Tim will put the dates in the HL website calendar.
Richard M asked about Cheshire East attitude to re-planting the Play Area as they had only recently put more
Buddleias in. John reported a recent telephone conversation with Dorian Belt CEC Operational Manager (North)
Streetscape & Bereavement Services responsible for the Play Area. He had no concerns about our plans other than
ongoing maintenance, which the PC will eventually take over. Mr Belt had passed the project site plans to Roy
Lowndes, Development Officer & suggested the VA Group involve Roy in our larger projects. I spoke to Roy who was
particularly complimentary about the Wrenshot Lane project (Area 5). It was agreed we should invite him to the
March 27th VA Group meeting.
Richard M asked that we formally advise his neighbour (Tony….?) whose property also borders the Play Area.
Chris J asked whether the Woodland Trust could be a source of free trees for this project, but Marianne though that
would be more appropriate for bigger projects such as Wrenshot Lane.
4) AOB. Frank reported that the plaque from the memorial trees near the Belfry entrance has been damaged. It will
need replacing when that area is re-developed. In the meantime, Frank will re-position the existing one.
Chris J had a request via Doreen Walker from Nigel Bacon (Water Tower) proposing benches near bus stops or in
quiet locations with a view. The PC has already suggested commemorative benches for the Diamond Jubilee. Chris J
will provide VA Group’s suggestions of possible sites [the woodland area Wrenshot Lane/ Pheasant Walk and in the
Village Hall grounds, opposite the car park] to the PC.
Future projects. Progress depends on funding.
Meeting closed 8.35 pm
th th th th th
NEXT MEETING: 28 February, then 27 March, 24 April, 29 May & 26 June all at 7.30 pm in the Village
Hall Meeting Room