TERMS OF REFERENCE FORMAT
(FOR Temporary Appointments)
UNICEF-BCO : TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR)
Job Title and Level: Nutrition Specialist, Project Management and Coordination; Level: NOC
Duration: 2 (Two) years; Type of Contract: Temporary Appointment
Duty Station: Dhaka with frequent travel
Purpose of Assignment:
Support implementation of USAID funded programme in selected areas of Bangladesh
Ensure national and sub-national coordination mechanisms function to improve quality and coverage of interventions.
. Major duties and responsibilities:
Planning, coordination and management of all technical and operational aspects of USAID funded intervention in
selected districts through provision of technical guidance, bilateral and group meetings, on-the-job training and
Responsibility for preparation, processing and management of PCAs and SSAs with partners which include clear
results and systems development approaches.
Monitoring of budget and funds utilization, and supporting Program Assistant in disbursement and liquidation of
Prepare technical and financial reports for donors and other user.
Support to sustainable coordination mechanisms at national and sub-national levels.
Contribution to development and maintenance of technical standards through application of technical knowledge
and participation in consultations at both national and sub-national levels.
Monitoring and evaluation of interventions.
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience/competencies required for the assignment:
Education: Masters degree in Nutrition or closely related subject e.g. Public Health
Work experience: Minimum 5 years directly relevant work experience.
Language requirements: Fluency in written and oral English in addition to Bangla.
Competencies/skills: UNICEF foundational/functional competencies
Core Values (Required): • Commitment , Diversity and Inclusion , Integrity
Core Competencies (Required) • Communication [ II ] • Working with People [ II ] • Drive for Results [ II ]
Functional Competencies (Required) • Leading and Supervising [ I ]
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ] • Analyzing [ III] • Relating and Networking [ II ]
• Deciding and Initiating Action [ II ] • Applying Technical Expertise [ III ]
Technical Knowledge1 [ II ]
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required [ II ]
• Advanced knowledge of nutrition
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group) [ I ]
Knowledge of theories and practices in public health and epidemiology:
• Computer software application, including word processing, spreadsheet and corporate software packages
General knowledge of:
• Methodology of programme/project management
• Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies in Nutrition
• Knowledge of global health and nutrition issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the
current trends, methods and approaches.
• Policies and strategy to address national and global health and nutrition issues, particularly relating to
conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
• Emergency programme policies, goals, strategies and approaches.
• Core commitments for children in emergencies (for all Emergency positions)
• Government development plans and policies
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job) [ II ]
• Knowledge of local conditions and country legislation relevant to UNICEF programmes
• • UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
• UN security operations and guidelines.
1 Reference to UNICEF and/or UN in terms of technical knowledge requirements (a and b above) are applicable only to those who
are or have been the staff members of UNICEF or the UN common system.