AVANCE is a non-profit organization dedicated to strengthening families in at-risk
communities through effective parent education and support programs. AVANCE-Austin
was formed in 1997 to address school dropout rates and low educational attainment of
Latino children. Our grassroots agency runs dual-generation programs focused on early
childhood education and parental engagement for Spanish speaking families. After
almost 15 years, AVANCE-Austin remains integral to the fabric of the community,
serving families who are largely disconnected from the web of resources and support
programs offered locally. Our agency’s overarching goal is to provide the tools for
families to thrive educationally and to break the trans-generational cycle of poverty.
We are seeking a passionate, self-motivated individual who has a strong background in
accounting and is adept in cross cultural settings to join our small, family like agency of
15 with a budget of < $700,000. This position is responsible for: overseeing operations
in a manner that supports the strategic growth of the agency; working in coordination
with the Executive Director and Board to implement long term comprehensive planning;
developing programmatic and operational budgets and monitoring expenditures;
ensuring timeliness of program reports; assisting in the preparation of grants; and
managing human resources. The position provides direct supervision to program
management, AmeriCorps/Vista members, and other employees.
1) Implement directions of the Executive Director and represent AVANCE-Austin and the
Executive Director in her/his absence.
2) Serve as a spokesperson and advocate for the programs and goals of AVANCE to
other agencies, organizations, fund providers, and the public.
3) Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community
groups, leaders, and organizations.
4) Keep abreast of developments and trends in the fields of family support, early
childhood, education, immigration, and related services and issues.
5) Direct development of curriculum; support staff development; and assist staff in
relating their specialized skills to the benefit of the agency.
1) Provide effective leadership in carrying out program, organizational, and budget plans
with the Executive Director and the program management team.
2) Lead budget development in coordination with AVANCE’s national finance
department, the Executive Director, and program management.
3) Monitor and report on financial performance of the organization including monthly
financial statements, cash flow projections and budget analysis.
4) Oversee the operations staff, accounting systems, and bookkeeping tasks, including
AR/AP, payroll, data entry, reconciliation of cash accounts and general ledger
management using Great Plains and Excel.
5) Assist in the development of fundraising plans in coordination with Executive Director,
Board, and program management staff; work to ensure that adequate funds are
available to permit the agency to carry out its mission; seek out and develop new
sources of revenue; and support grant and proposal writing, evaluations, and reports.
Human Resource Management:
1) Hold responsibility for the recruitment, hiring, and discharge of personnel, in
partnership with the Executive Director, and work closely with the chapter's program
management team, as necessary.
2) Ensure that job descriptions are developed; regular performance evaluations are held;
and sound human resource practices are in place.
3) Manage all activities related to worker’s compensation, staff benefits, compliance, and
other related human resource activities.
1) Supervise program management and AmeriCorps/Vista members.
2) Maintain a work environment that attracts, retains, and motivates staff of top quality
talent and diversity.
1) The ideal candidate will have a minimum of five (5) years experience in senior
management and financial accounting, preferably within non-profit agencies.
2) Bachelor’s Degree preferred in education, social work, business administration and/or
human services, or equivalent work experience.
3) Organized, self-managed, and able to handle many responsibilities simultaneously.
4) Strong administrative skills, with attention to detail.
5) Knowledge of fiscal oversight and budget preparation.
6) Possess strong leadership and team-management skills.
7) Excellent interpersonal, writing and communication skills.
8) Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
9) Culturally competent, knowledgeable of, and experienced with low-income, diverse
10) Alignment with the mission and philosophy of AVANCE.
Salary range is high 30Ks to low $40Ks, and will commensurate with education and
How to Apply
To apply, please send resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position
and your experience serving the Latino community to email@example.com
To learn more about our agency go to www.avance-austin.org