The role of the Mathematics Co-ordinator/Maths Teacher
The role of the Mathematics Co-ordinator is specified as follows and is essential to the
post on offer:
1. To collect and collate the content summaries from each teacher of mathematics.
2. To prepare a draft whole school subject content summary.
3. To ensure that all content and skill requirements of mathematics are contained in the
curriculum document draft (NC and CE as basic requirements).
4. To ensure that there is progression throughout mathematics from Reception to Year 8
5. To identify the various teaching methods associated with mathematics.
6. To develop the use of ICT within the department. The new state-of-the-art ICT suite
will be an ideal opportunity to achieve this
7. To ensure that differentiation is integral to the teaching of mathematics.
8. To ensure that provision for I.T. is included throughout the school in mathematics.
9. To ensure that assessment and record keeping form an integral and coherent part of
the subject plan.
10. To be aware of INSET opportunities in mathematics and inform other teachers in that
11. To discuss problems and advise other teachers of mathematics.
12. To consider their subject as part of a balanced curriculum across each year group.
13. To consider the aim and objectives in teaching mathematics with a view to preparing
a draft policy document.
14. To ensure that there are sufficient mathematics resources.
N.B. Points 1-14 are required for this post. Below are listed additional skills that would
be very much appreciated but are not essential. They are, however, covered by the
current teacher who is retiring after 10 years with us.
Coaching of boys’ games: Rugby; Soccer; Cricket
Refereeing the above at Junior level
This school is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts
from appropriately qualified persons regardless of sex, race religion, disability or age
New members of staff are appointed on the basis of “the best candidate” based on
New staff will receive induction training which will include a reference to this policy
All staff will have equal chances of training, career development and promotion
Staff becoming disabled will be given positive help to retain their post or be considered
for redeployment if possible