South O’Brien Community School District
Board of Education Meeting
Thursday, October 18, 2012
South O’Brien School-Paullina Site Conference Room
A. Call to Order: The regular monthly meeting of the South O’Brien Board of Education was
held on Thursday, October 18, 2012 at the South O’Brien School-Paullina Site Conference
Room. President McCauley called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
B. Roll Call and Declaration of Quorum: Secretary Rupert read roll call. Present: Todd Faust,
Sue McCauley, Kevin Nelson, Darrell Rehder, Tom Wagner; Absent: Lori Burmakow, Sandy
Fritz. President McCauley declared a quorum present. Others present: Superintendent Dan
Moore; Secretary Sharla Rupert; Business Manager Dee Ann Lansink; Principal Bill Boer;
Activities Director Heath Reichle; Music Teachers Becky Meyer, Deb Tornow, Tom Cronin;
American Government Students Ashley Bretz, Lexy Hohbach, Rebekah Jenness, Noelle
Kruse, Terran Ebel, Kari Dean.
C. Adoption of Agenda: Motion by Wagner and seconded by Faust to adopt agenda. Motion
carried, all ayes.
D. Welcome and Delegation: none
E. Consider Consent Items:
1. Minutes of Previous Meetings: Motion by Faust and seconded by Nelson to approve
minutes of previous meetings. Motion carried, all ayes.
2. Financial Reports:
a. Financial Statements: Motion by Nelson and seconded by Rehder to approve
financial statements. Motion carried, all ayes.
b. Consider Payment of Invoices: Motion by Faust and seconded by Nelson to approve
payment of invoices. Motion carried, all ayes.
F. Board Committee Reports: No committee reports. Sue McCauley reported on IASB
meeting at Paullina and ISFIS meeting at Spirit Lake that she attended. Mr. Moore reported
on IASB Employee Relations meeting at Des Moines that he attended.
1. K-12 Music: Mrs. Meyer, Dr. Tornow, and Mr. Cronin reported on the TK-12 Music
2. Certified Enrollment: Mr. Moore presented certified enrollment numbers and
3. Key Financial Indicators: Mr. Moore presented key financial indicators including 1.
certified budget enrollment, 2. staff costs, 3. solvency ratio, 4. unspent balance, 5. balanced
4. Reports by Activities Director and Administrators:
a. Activities: Mr. Reichle presented report.
b. Secondary: Mr. Boer presented report.
c. Elementary/Curriculum: Report as printed.
d. Superintendent: Mr. Moore presented report.
5. Recognition of staff, students, and patrons: See monthly newsletter for listing.
1. Iowa Association of School Boards (IASB) Information: IASB Annual Convention -
November 15 at Des Moines.
1. Resignations: none
2. Employment of Staff: Motion by Wagner and seconded by Faust to approve employment
of staff as follows:
Dave Pfaffle – drivers education classroom instructor @ minimum salary of $3,000
($60 per student for 50 students) plus additional $60 per student for each student over
50; also, driving instructor at $130 per student
Chad Koedam – drivers education driving instructor @ $130 per student
Grant Hegstad – drivers education driving instructor @ $130 per student
Neil Bracker – drivers education driving instructor @ $130 per student
Jana Rounds – elementary part-time cook (3 hours) @ $8.25 per hour
Motion carried, all ayes.
J. Unfinished Business: none
K. New Business:
1. Consider Appointment of O’Brien County Conference Board Member: Motion by
Wagner and seconded by Nelson to appoint Darrell Rehder as O’Brien County Conference
Board member. Motion carried, all ayes.
2. Consider Approval of Superintendent Attending National Conference: Motion by
Faust and seconded by Rehder to approve Mr. Moore to attend National Conference on
Education at Los Angeles in February 2013. Motion carried, all ayes.
3. Consider Approval of Baseball/Softball Complex Sprinkler System Bids: Motion by
Faust and seconded by Nelson to approve bid of $13,520 from Van Holland Lawn Service,
Ltd. for sprinkler system at baseball/softball complex. Motion carried, all ayes.
4. Consider Approval of Coca-Cola Contract for Baseball/Softball Complex: Motion by
Nelson and seconded by Wagner to approve contract with Chesterman Company (Coca-
Cola) for them to donate $12,000 towards baseball, softball, and city park scoreboards and
Coca-Cola products would be sold exclusively at the baseball and softball concession
stands. Product cost will be locked in for ten years. Motion carried, all ayes.
5. Consider Approval of Baseball/Softball Complex Cement Work Bids: Motion by
Wagner and seconded by Faust to approve $27,770 bid from Dave Koehlmoos
Construction for baseball/softball complex cement work. Motion carried, all ayes.
L. Talking Points: Board members shared highlights of board meeting including music program
M. Adjournment: Motion by Faust and seconded by Nelson to adjourn at 9:18 p.m. Motion
carried, all ayes.
Sue McCauley, Board President
Sharla Rupert, Board Secretary