SC18 Chair requests update on the status in product

Document Sample
SC18 Chair requests update on the status in product Powered By Docstoc
					                                          Draft Minutes
Exploration and Production Standards Conference on Oilfield Equipment and Materials
                           API Subcommittee 18 - Quality
                          Renaissance Worthington Hotel, Ft. Worth, TX
                                  Thursday, January 26, 2012
                                Chair: Stacey Hagen (Chair)
                        Vice Chairs: Ted Mitchell and Patrick Fallouey

                                                                            M-S-P: Motion-Second-Pass
1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Agenda Items are provided below in the approximate order to be addressed.
Breaks are at the chair’s discretion

1. Meeting Opening/Safety Issues (Stacey Hagen) Chair welcomed the members and guests
   and provided guidance on evacuation in the event of an emergency.

2. Adoption of the proposed agenda (Stacey Hagen) M-S-P to accept agenda with no
   revisions.

3. Attendance (Ed Baniak) (18 for quorum) 25 of 34 voting representatives were present,
   quorum established.

   Meeting Attendance sheets were circulated (See Attachment A)

   Mel Wright was recognized with an award for his past service as chair.
   The loss of Dean Goodson was recognized by the committee.

4. Adoption of the minutes from San Francisco, CA, June 30, 2011 (Stacey Hagen)
   M-S-P to accept the meeting minutes.

5. Previous (Open) Action Items:

   a. ITEM 2009-2 (Stacey Hagen): Identification of processes requiring validation. SC18 Chair
      requests update on the status in product subcommittees at the ECS (CSOEM). Item
      remains open. Item was brought to the CSOEM and it is an open action on their agenda.
      Item closed.

   b. ITEM 2010-3 (Stacey Hagen): SC18 Chair to bring the issue of welding across
      subcommittees and product specifications to the ECS (CSOEM). The intent was to
      ensure a minimum welding performance when the product spec was silent on it. Created
      TG6 to Address Item. Item closed.

   c. ITEM 2011-1 (Stacey Hagen): SC18 chair to bring the TG4 report (See January 2011
       minutes of SC18, Ft. Worth, TX) to the attention of the Monogram Program Board for
       review and action. Item brought to the attention of CSOEM. Item closed.

   d. ITEM 2011-2 (Gary Devlin): Informal study group to determine feasibility of identifying the
       continued compliance of product to its original manufacturing requirements during its life-
       cycle. Created TG7 to Address Item. Item closed.

6. Product Spec/Subcommittee Liaison Reports
   Call for additional [missing] subcommittee liaisons (SC2, SC10, SC15, SC16, SC17, SC20)
   a. Joe Majkrzak (SC5)

                                               Page 1
        There is concern over the quality of the Monogram Program audits. A task group under SC5
        was formed to address these concerns and bring back to SC18. The task group will be
        involved in addressing these concerns.

        Noted that old TG1 was for audit effectiveness and could be reopened.

        Suggestion that all subcommittees be approached about the quality of audits associated with
        their products.
        ITEM 2012-1: Stacey Hagen to contact subcommittees through CSOEM to have them
        review the quality of the audits associated with their product specifications and report
        back to the MPB.

   b. Mike Briggs (SC6)
      SC6 will meet next month. There will be a round table to address new issues.

   c. Shawn Firenza (SC8)
      Robert Ubranowski reported for Shawn Firenza. The subcommittee has addressed the need
      for processes requiring validation in their documents.

   d. Darrell Copsey (SC11)
      Ed Baniak reported for Darrell Copsey. Three API Product specifications are under
      revisions. Some older documents identified as eligible for withdrawal: will be balloted for as
      such.

   e. Johnna Oakley Smith (SC13)
      A report was provided (See Attachment B). The subcommittee is working on a ew document
      on particle size. Adopted-back RP 13C (from ISO equivalent)

   f.   David Ott (SC19)
        Austin Freeman reported for David Ott. Twelve documents are currently under revision.

7. Task Group and Liaison Reports:

   a. Task Group 2 (TG2) – API Spec Q1 Revisions (Austin Freeman) Charge: To develop the next
        edition of API Spec Q1 independently of ISO TS 29001 while meeting or exceeding the
        requirements ISO 9001.

        Austin Freeman reported (See Attachment C).
        A summary of the process of the revision of the document was provided. The group meets about
        once per month for 2 days at a time. Anyone can review the status of the document on the API
        committees website.

        Proposal made to revise the scope of the TG as:
        To develop the next edition of API Spec Q1 independently of ISO TS 29001 while meeting or
                                                                      th
        exceeding the requirements ISO 9001, the intent of API Q1, 8 edition and maintain close
        alignment in structure and language with API Q2. M-S-P

   b. Task Group 3 (TG3) – Task Group on Recommendations for Improvements to the API Monogram
        Program (Ed Durante) Charge: To review issues and develop recommendations for
        improvements to the API Monogram program.

        Ed Durante reported (See Attachment D) and provided a presentation (See Attachment E)




                                               Page 2
   i.    NWI 3002 – [NWI Language Summary: Have a study conducted and recommendations made on
         the appropriate licensee classifications which organizations should be qualified per a given
         specification, e.g., assembler, steel manufacturer, etc.] Status: To be submitted to ECS (CSOEM)
         when completed. Need participation from other specification subcommittees to identify categories. No
         new activity on this action. Waiting on feedback from ECS (CSOEM) chairs.

         The proposed categories for manufacturing were described. Options to move forward: a)
         self-disclosure, b) percentage of materials and/or labor, and c) establish minimum activities
         for licensees. Work is on-going.

         Suggestion that this may require additional input from API legal.

   ii.   NWI 3007 – [NWI Language Summary: Review Guest / Host licensing currently being offered by
         API and provide User input and recommendations to API.] Status: Intent of the original G/H was for a
         manufacturer to extend their manufacturing capabilities, but now includes distributor as licensee. Waiting
         on feedback from ECS (CSOEM) chairs.

         Will address this issue with the report on the MPB. Item Closed (see below)

c. Task Group 5 (TG5) – Quality Management System for the Service Sector (Stacey Hagen)
   Charge: Oversee the development of Spec Q2 - Quality Management Systems for Service
   Supply Organizations for the Petroleum and Natural Gas Industries.

   Stacey Hagen reported. (See Attachment F)
   Document published on December 15, 2011. The document was published in less than a year.
   The TG recognized the group that developed the document. A work group has been proposed to
   address a user’s guide on this document. Dr. Ed Baniak was recognized for his guidance and
   support enabling API Spec Q2 to be developed and published in less than a year and presented
   with an Oil & Gas Industry Recognition Award.

   It was reported that TG5 is working with API to establish Beta Test sites for auditing against the
   new API Spec Q2. A service center in Louisiana had volunteered their facility. The Beta Tests
   will service as a means to identify potential hurdles, gaps and issues with the new specification as
   well as a means for API to identify needed resources for the new certification program. In
   addition, an industry forum has been scheduled for February 23, 2012 in Houston to gain insight
   on the number of global facilities that are impacted by the new document, discuss certification
   schemes and identify User’s perception on compliance. The need for a new TG5 Chair was
   identified and a request was made for candidates (see New Business, below)

d. Task Group 6 (TG6) – Welding Requirements in the API Product Specifications (Bud Weightman)
   Charge: To review all API product specifications to cross-functionally identify
   requirements for welding; the purpose to identify welding criteria to be recommended for
   use in all product specifications where welding is required.

   Bud Weightman reported. (See Attachment G) and provided a presentation (See Attachment H)
   Plan to identify baseline requirements for auditors to use in the monogram audits based on key
   criteria recognized by the task group and to created benchmark requirements where they do not
   currently exist. The report will be vetted by a peer review from SC18 and will provide guidance to
   the auditors for auditing. The hope is to have the document ready by the summer meeting.

e. Task Group 7 (TG7) – Product Life Cycle (Gary Devlin) Charge: To create a life-cycle
   management system document for use in conjunction with products and/or standards
   used in the oil and gas industry.

   Gary Devlin gave a presentation. (See Attachment I)




                                                   Page 3
        The purpose of the review is to provide guidance on the product once it has been monogrammed
        and left the manufacturer: associated with installation, service, functionally tested, inspected,
        repaired, remanufactured, service. There has been a strong driver for this by pending regulation.

        There is a proposal to expand the scope of the document to include other sectors (midstream and
        downstream).
        Proposed new charge:
        To create a life-cycle management document that provides the means of identifying the
        continued compliance of a product to its original and/or current manufacturing and design
        requirements and the ability to demonstrate product compliance to original and/or current product
        standards and industry/product-specific technical and regulatory requirements throughout the
        product lifecycle. M-S-P

 A Break - 20 minutes

 8. Monogram Program
    a. Report from SC18 Liaison to the API Monogram Program Board [MPB] (Stacey Hagen)

        When will Spec Q2 be put into the certification program? There will be a forum in Houston in late
        February to get information on the potential size of this program. There is also a company that
                                                 nd
        will undergo a beta-test audit in the 2 quarter to determine what needs to be captured for
        auditing purposes.

        TG3-NWI3007 - discussion: The MPB decided immediately that the API will not accept new G-H
        licenses. The existing licenses will be maintained for the next 18 months.

    b. Monogram Program Status/Update (API Staff) (See Attachment J)

        General Program Update (Don Whittaker)
        Don Whittaker presented the status of the monogram program and its growth

        Audit Update (Aaron Duke)
        Aaron Duke presented the status of the monogram program. Effort is being placed in the
        development of a training plan for the implementation of a certification program to Spec Q2.
        There will be an Asian Auditor summit in China in October/November.

 9. New Business:
    a. New TG5 Chair – Jim Hood (Chevron) has volunteered to be the new TG5 chair and will take on
       the role of the development of a guidance document for Q2.
    b. Call was made for additional [missing] subcommittee liaisons

10. Review of New Action Items (listed below)

11. Next Meetings:
    a. API Summer Standards Conference in Westminster, CO (June 11-15, 2012)
    b. API Winter Standards Conference in New Orleans, LA (January 21-25, 2013)

12. Meeting Adjourned at 4:30 PM




                                                 Page 4
Motion and Action Items Summary:

M-S-P to Accept the Agenda with No Revisions

M-S-P to Adoption of the Minutes from San Francisco, CA, June 30, 2011

ITEM 2012-1: Stacey Hagen to contact subcommittees through CSOEM to have them review
the quality of the audits associated with their product specifications and report back to the
MPB.

M-S-P to change the charge of TG2 as: To develop the next edition of API Spec Q1
independently of ISO TS 29001 while meeting or exceeding the requirements ISO 9001, the
intent of API Q1, 8th edition and maintain close alignment in structure and language with API
Q2.

M-S-P to change the charge of TG7 as: To create a life-cycle management document that
provides the means of identifying the continued compliance of a product to its original and/or
current manufacturing and design requirements and the ability to demonstrate product
compliance to original and/or current product standards and industry/product-specific technical
and regulatory requirements throughout the product lifecycle.




                                            Page 5

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:2
posted:11/7/2012
language:Latin
pages:5