OPNET provides a comprehensive
development environment supporting the
modeling of communication networks
and distributed systems.
OPNET Modeler provide also a graphical
interface easy to use to help the user to
build its models.
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 2
What is OPNET Simulator?
Opnet is a network simulation tool. It allows the definition
• A network topology,
• the nodes, and
• the links that go towards making up a network.
• The processes that may happen in a particular node, and
• the properties of the transmission links.
A simulation can then be executed, and the results
analyzed for any network element in the simulated
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 3
MORE ABOUT OPNET
Opnet has three main types of tools:
1. The Model Development tool
2. The Simulation Execution tool
3. The Results Analysis tool
These three types of tools are used
together to model, simulate and analyze a
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 4
MODEL DEVELOPMENT TOOL
1. Network Editor is used to design the network models,
with different nodes connected by point-to-point links,
radio links, etc.
2. Node Editor is used to place the models of the nodes
used into the network. A node in Opnet consists of
3. Process Editor is used to define the processes that run
inside these modules. Process models are represented
by finite state machine (FSMs).
4. Parameter Editor allows the definition of parameters
used in the node modules and process models, such as
the packet format, probability density functions, etc.
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 5
1. Network Editor
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 6
2. Node Editor
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 7
3. Process Editor
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 8
4. Parameter Editor
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 9
SIMULATION EXECUTION TOOL
1. Probe Editor is used to place probes at
various points of interest in the network
model. These probes can be used to
monitor any of the statistics computed
2. Simulation Tool allows the user to specify
a sequence of simulations, along with any
input and output options, and any
different runtime options.
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 10
1. Probe Editor
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 11
2. Simulation Tool
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 12
RESULTS ANALYSIS TOOL
1. Analysis Tool will display the results
from a simulation or series of
simulations as graphs.
2. Filter Editor is used to define filters
to mathematically process, reduce,
or combine statistical data.
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 13
1. Analysis Tool
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 14
2. Filter Editor
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 15
Invoking OPNET from your CCSE
Login to your UNIX account
Use an editor to open the file .cshrc
Add the following entries:
• setenv vudoc_prog /usr/local/bin/X11/acroread
• set path=($path /tools/opnet/8.0.C/sys/unix/bin)
• setenv LD_LIBRARYPATH
Save the file and exit from your account
Log on to your UNIX account and at a command
prompt, type Opnet. Opnet will start running.
11/7/2012 Prepared by Hakim ADICHE 16