Iliad Book 1: The Quarrel
1. Who brought the plague upon the people of Greece? (lines 10-15, 50-55)
2. Why is Apollo angry with Agamemnon? (lines 10-15, 50-55)
3. What stock epithet is said about Hera? (line 64)
4. Why did Achilles call the meeting instead of Agamemnon? (lines 80-90)
5. Why is Agamemnon reluctant to let the girl go? (lines 124-135)
6. Why is Calchas afraid to name Agamemnon? (lines 90-96, 124-135)
7. According to Calchas, what must be done to stop the plague? (line 115)
8. What plan of action does Achilles propose? (line 150)
9. Agamemnon states that the army will award him a prize of equal value if he is to give up the girl, or he
will take Achilles’ girl (line 215)____________ for himself.
10. Achilles contemplates killing Agamemnon until the goddess (line 230) ____________ came to him from
11. What promise does she make to Achilles? (line 243)
12. What advice does Nestor give to Agamemnon and what advice does he give to Achilles? (lines 326-335)
13. How does Achilles react when he hands his prize over to Agamemnon? To whom does he pray? (lines
14. What does Thetis predict about Achilles’ life? (lines 477-482)
Iliad Book 22
Lines 1-40: The Trojan warrior Hector is pinned outside the city (1) _______________.
Achilles is angry because Hector killed his cousin (2) ________________.
Achilles is chasing (3) ____________ who supported the Trojans.
Apollo is a god and cannot be caught.
(4) _____________, Hector’s father, fears for his son.
Lines 41-95: Priam warns his son not to fight Achilles and to come back into the city walls. He already
mourns the loss of (5) ______ other sons to the war.
Lines 96-109: Hector’s mother, (6) _________, pleads with him to come behind the city walls.
Lines 110-156: Hector thinks about his choices and in lines 127-129 he blames
(7) ____________ for having lost so many men.
Lines 157-204: Hector realizes that he cannot win and begins to run.
Hector is known as the “tamer of (8) _______________”.
Achilles chases him around the city walls (9) _______ times.
Lines 207-219: Zeus takes pity and wants to help Hector but (10) ______________ says “No, why release
him from this painful death when he is going to die anyway?”
Line 247: Zeus weights the (11) ____________ and decides it’s time to end the fight.
Lines 270-275: Apollo deserts Hector and (12) ____________ pretends to be Hector’s brother to give
Hector the courage to finally face Achilles.
Line 303: Hector tries to make a deal with Achilles that if Hector wins he will give Achilles’ body to his
family if Achilles will (13) __________________________________.
Line 308: Achilles says (14) _________ because he is angry at Hector for killing Patroclus and wearing his
Lines 322-345: Achilles throws his spear at Hector and (15) ____________.
Hector throws his spear and it (16) ______________ (with the help of Athena)
Hector realizes his brother is not there and sees he was tricked.
Line 386: Achilles gets Hector in the (17) ______________.
Line 425: Hector’s last words: “I see you for how (18) __________ you are but keep in mind that the gods
may punish you one day.”
Line 442: Hector is (19) _____________ by all the Achaeans who come to see his body.
Line 467: Achilles ties Hector to his chariot and drags him around the city walls (20) ____ times until his
body comes apart.
Line 515: Hector’s wife, (21) ________________, knows nothing and runs into the city to discover his fate.
Iliad Book 24
Priam goes to Achilles’ tent and supplicates himself by kissing Achilles’ hands. He wants to ransom his
son’s body. He pleads with Achilles to remember his own father.
Both men weep and Achilles reflects on the mixed destiny of good and evil that Zeus has given to
mortals. He agrees to ransom Hector’s body.
Priam is invited to stay the night but the god Hermes warns Priam that by staying he too could be held for
Priam escapes with his son’s body in the night and Hector is given a proper funeral with his family