WAWNE FESTIVAL COMMITTEE
Minutes of the meeting held
Tuesday, 10th January, 2012 – 7.15 p.m.
at the Waggoners
Martin Benge (Chair), Janet Benge (Secretary), Mike Barber (Treasurer),
David Ayers, Ken Fisher-Bailey, Ron Feetham, Edith Shipley, Margaret
Hodgson, Michelle Lount, Julie Smith (Co-ordinator).
1. APOLOGIES – were received from, Jacob Birch and Chris Shipley,
2. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD 8TH NOVEMBER, 2011
True Record – these were recorded as a true and accurate record.
3 Matters Arising
3.1 - List of Contacts – Martin is continuing to update the contacts list with Martin
Wendy Salmon for the Princess dress.
3.2 - Conduct Policy – Martin in the process of putting together a Policy, Martin
together with a “Terms of Reference” Policy.
3.3 – Queen’s Diamond Jubilee – at the last meeting Jo was talking about
the Parish Council looking at celebrations in the village for this event on
either the Monday, 4th June or Tuesday, 5th June. The Parish Council are
going to discuss it further at their next meeting. Our Committee had said Martin
that we would like to get involved and had suggested forming a working
group whereby all of the groups in Wawne could work together, through
Julia as our Co-ordinator, with a represent on the working group from each
group. Martin agreed to speak to Jo.
4 TREASURER’S REPORT
4.1 Mike updated the Committee on the Christmas raffle. Ticket sales
amounted to £402.20, with £105.65 to come out of that amount for Prizes
money, ticket printing, envelopes, stamps, etc. We still have some
envelopes and stamps left over which will be used in the future. After all
expenses the raffle made a profit of £226.31, giving a total of £2,682 at the
5.1 Christmas Raffle – Martin said the Christmas raffle had gone very well,
everyone did well on sales and collecting prizes, particularly in these difficult
times and everyone had been very generous. Martin thanked the Post
Office and the Waggoners who did well on our behalf and it is much
Martin, Margaret and Michelle went to the school on 16th December, and
witnessed the young children making the prize draw.
The Chair thanked everyone for their input and was very pleased with the
way it went.
5.2 Remaining Raffle prizes – Martin tabled a list of remaining prizes that
hadn’t been used for the Christmas raffle and the Committee agreed that
we should hold a Summer Raffle using the prizes remaining. It was also
Wawne Festival Minutes – 2012 1
WAWNE FESTIVAL COMMITTEE
agreed that some of the prizes will be used as competition prizes.
5.3 Bids & Sponsors –Martin has applied to the Asda Foundation to see if
we can apply for funding for our event. Martin read out the letter he and
Mike had put together. We haven’t received a response from ASDA as yet Martin
so Martin agreed to contact them. Martin has enrolled with Rural
Partnership Plus and said he had given the Co-ordinator a call for advice.
Martin said he would also contact Reckitts again as it had been 2 years
since they last sponsored us.
Martin & Mike agreed to get together to discuss a budget for the next Martin/
6. 2012 FESTIVAL AND SHOW IDEAS (standing item)
6.1 – Questionnaire Feedback - a questionnaire had gone out on the back
of the letter which was sent to all residents in the village. Sadly, we
received a very poor response. From 393 questionnaires distributed, we
only received 13 returns. Martin had made a list of the responses and
went through them with the Committee.
Someone had suggested having a “Best Turned out Horse” competition at
the Festival. The Committee discussed this and thought we could have a
“Best Turned out Horse and Rider” with say 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes. The
competition would be offered to all surrounding riding stables and we could
have an “independent” judge. It was agreed to contact Bishop Burton Martin
College and also find a suitable local location.
Another suggestion was to have a “Welly throwing Competition”. Martin
agreed to speak to Rob Atkinson to see if we could possibly use his field
and if he had any contact with the Young Farmers Association for Martin
Martin had attended the Beverley High School Christmas Fayre and he
gave a few of our business cards out to crafters, etc. The School said they
would be prepared to put flyers out for us in their next postings. Martin
Having a “Flower Arrangement” session was another suggestion – The
ladies from the W.I. said they would speak to Margaret Duffy. It was Margret,
suggested that this could be held during the Festival week. Julia, Edith
David suggested a “Scarecrow Competition” involving the children at the
school. Martin agreed to speak to Phil Sainter at the school. The Committee
thought we could have an “Olympics” and Queens Jubilee theme for the
Another suggestion was to have a “Family History” stall at the Festival and
the Committee thought we could have a stall advising people how they can
get information on family history, etc. Janet to investigate with ERYC Janet
A “Bee Keeping” stall was another suggestion – Margaret has a contact for
the new Vicar at Sutton who is involved in bee keeping and said she would
make enquiries. Margaret
Someone had suggested the need for more seating outside and under
cover at the Festival – we have no provisions of getting additional seating
so it was suggested we could ask people to bring their own fold up seats on
A resident had offered to display his “Bird of Prey” and David said he would Martin
also make enquiries with a local group who show a whole range of these David
Wawne Festival Minutes – 2012 2
WAWNE FESTIVAL COMMITTEE
W.I. Competition - the Committee had a debate about the entries for the
various categories at the Festival; the entry fees and prizes monies, etc.
The W.I. ladies said they experienced problems with people coming into the
school rooms when the judging was taking place. The Committee agreed to Martin
ask two of our gentleman, i.e. David Skinner and Alan Garland to prevent
this from happening this year.
6.2 – Update on programme
– Ken has booked the Shivner Irish Dancers and we need to provide some Ken
wooden flooring for them to dance on. (Free) (Booked)
- Magic man - Michelle has provisionally booked the Magic man who would
do “Punch and Judy” and a Magic Show for £150. (Booked)
- The Belly Dancers were very popular and agreed to book again. Martin
- Princess parade car -David agreed to contact Mick who has a vintage car David
for the opening of the Festival.
- David to book the organ (circa £40) David
Other suggestions were:
- Country crafts like Theakston wooden barrel making – Ken to investigate. Ken
- David knows someone who does repairing cartwheels and agreed to have David
a word with him.
- David also knows a lady who does “flour making” and breads, etc. David David
agreed to speak to her.
- Ethnic foods - Michelle mentioned a College of International Development
at Winestead and agreed to make enquiries with them about “Ethnic Michelle
- To have Live Bands and Singing was popular – Martin to speak to Jo Martin
Sheldon about “performing arts” school, etc.
- “Black Lights” – Michelle knows some people who put this act on who are
very good – it was suggested we could possibly have this on the Quiz Night. Michelle
- Celebrity to open the show – the Committee talked about asking someone
with a “sporting” background, say a rugby player, etc. Martin agreed to Martin
write to all three football clubs.
- Climbing wall - A resident in the village has kindly agreed to try to book a
Climbing Wall with the TAs – he has filled in an application form for us. Martin
- David agreed to book the Army Cadets marching band –on our behalf. David
- Quiz Night – ongoing.
- Hog Roast – Edith agreed to ask Chris about the Hog Roast. Edith
7.1 Update – on-going. All
8. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
No other business.
9. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Agreed next meeting to be held:
Tuesday, 7th February (NOT 14TH February as this Valentines Night).
7.15 p.m. at the Waggoners.
Wawne Festival Minutes – 2012 3
WAWNE FESTIVAL COMMITTEE
All Welcome to attend the meetings
Note: Next Wawne Show – Saturday 14th July 2012
Wawne Festival Minutes – 2012 4