Introduction Welcome to Your IRS Refund In this book BookRix by mikeholy



Welcome to Your IRS Refund. In this book you will find all the information you need
about an IRS refund, from the options that you have to get your refund, to getting a
bigger refund, and getting it faster. In addition, we include little known IRS refund
topics, like what to do when you have an expired refund, what to do if you get an
unexpected IRS refund and much more.

A must for those seeking to increase their refund or their knowledge about the IRS
refund process.


                                                                           Cora Parks
                                                            Table of Contents

Thinking About A RAL Refund? Think Again ......................................................................................... 3
Refund Options ............................................................................................................................................. 5
Time To Claim A Refund: The Two Vs Three Year Rule ................................................................................. 6
Losing Your Refund Due To Late Filing? Financial Disability May Be Your Savior ...................................... 7
Does Your Spouse Owe Debts? Keep Your Refund With Injured Spouse .................................................... 9
Let IRS Figure Your Tax Or Your Refund ...................................................................................................... 10
Supersize My Refund ........................................................................................................................ 14
Check and Double Check: IRS Replacement Checks ................................................................................... 17
IRS Erroneous Refunds: Today’s Check, Tomorrow’s Regret ...................................................................... 20
No Direct Deposit, Guaranteed Return............................................................................................... 22
Need A “Real” Rapid Refund? Here’s How To Get It .................................................................................. 24
                    Thinking About A RAL Refund? Think Again.

In the month of January, the early filers will bombard the nation's tax offices, looking to
get their federal tax refund as quickly as possible. Most services offer same day, 24,
and 48 hour refunds. These "refunds" are not your actual federal refund from the IRS.
They don't process returns that quickly. These are loans against your refund that allow
you to get a advance loan against your federal refund. When your federal return is
processed, usually within 7 to 21 days, the tax preparer, obtains the refund from the
IRS. The process seems easy enough but it comes with a steep price. Refund
Anticipation Loans, or RALs as they are more commonly known, increase the costs of
tax preparation significantly. Some preparers have charged as "little" as $500 to as
much as 50% of the refund. If you're that desperate that you need to pay 50 cents on
the dollar for your refund, this article may be lost on you. But for those who were not
aware of the prohibitive costs involved, and if you can wait a minimum of 10 to 21 days,
you will save hundreds of dollars in fees.

Electronic filing allows your return to be transmitted to the IRS without the long wait
associated with a return sent by mail. When the return is processed, assuming there
are no internal matters that would require that your refund be delayed, for example,
injured spouse claims, bankruptcy, first time filer, non filer, or examination, your refund
will be delivered to you in as little as 7 business days, up to the maximum of 21
business days, depending on the acceptance date of your return (Generally, for a
refund to be issued within 7 days, it will need to be accepted into the IRS system no
later than 10:00 am the Thursday prior. Returns that are accepted after 10 am
Thursday will generally be available within 14 business days, assuming direct deposit
was requested and not mail. Refund checks requested via mail require an additional 7
business days for processing. Conversely, a return that is mailed into the IRS can take
a minimum of 4 weeks up to 6 weeks to process.

So, if your preparer asks you if you want to get your refund "superfast", tell him that you
can accomplish that through electronic filing. Better yet, learn how to prepare your own
return and transmit it for free directly at the IRS website,
                                    Refund Options

I’ll bet that you did not know that on your federal return, you have options regarding the

receipt and distribution of your refund should you not owe past debts. In summary,

these are:

   1. Whole net refund received as a check in the mail to the address of record. This

       is the traditional method.

   2. Whole net refund received via direct deposit to a savings or checking account

       that you designate on your 1040 series form. Make sure that both the routing

       number and account number are correct before mailing or transmitting

       electronically. In addition, unless the account is a business account, make sure

       you check with the financial institution before having the funds go to the account

       if your name is not on the account.

   3. Refund direct deposited but into more than one account. With Form 8888, Direct

       Deposit of Refund To More Than One Account, you can designate that your net

       refund be distributed into more than one account. Again, the admonitions under

       item # 2 remain in effect.

   4. Whole or partial net refund applied to the following year’s tax. You may

       designate to receive part of your refund now and allow the IRS to keep the

       different on your account for the following year. Since this choice is irrevocable

       (with very few exceptions), if you have any doubts whatsoever, DO NOT choose

       this option.
There you have it. To obtain Form 8888, go to, forms and publications,

and select Form 8888.
              Time to Claim a Refund: The Two versus Three Year Rule

As most of you know, there is a statute of limitations as to when a refund can be
claimed or a reduction in tax can take place that would result in a refund of tax already
paid. That statute states the following: In order to claim to a refund, the claim for refund
must be filed no later than three years from the due date of the return not including
extensions. This means that if you are expecting a refund from a 2009 federal return,
you have until April 15, 2013 in order to file to obtain the full refund amount as shown on
the return.

However, if through an examination or audit of your return by the Internal Revenue
Service results in a balance due, you pay the amount due, later find substantiation that
will result in either a reduction or elimination of the tax that was assessed; you have two
years after the tax was paid in order to claim a refund.
    Losing Your Refund Due to Late Filing? Financial Disability Might Be Your

There is a statute (deadline) to file a federal return and obtain a refund. That deadline is
three years from the due date of the return without regard to extensions. However, this
deadline does not apply if you are able to show financial disability during the time period
of the return.

Financial disability is the inability to manage your day to day financial affairs due to a
physical or medical impairment determined by a medical professional to either end with
your death (yikes!) or will last more than one year. This means that if you are filing a
2005 tax return, your period of disability would take place before or during the year of
2005 in order to qualify in terms of time. To initiate the claim of financial disability, one
should include the following along with the return claiming the refund:

    1.    A statement from a medical professional that includes the following:
            a. The name and description of your physical or mental impairment.
            b. A statement from the physician stating that this impairment prevented you
                 from managing your financial affairs. This statement also must attest to
                 fact that the impairment will either result in your death, or that it has, or is
                 expected to last a minimum of twelve months and in the medical
                 professional’s opinion, quantifying (in months, days, or years) just how
                 long that the impairment is expected to last.
            c. The physician’s signature preceded by the following statement. “I hereby
                 certify that to the best of my knowledge and belief, the representations
                 above are true, correct, and complete.”

    2. A statement by the individual filing for the refund that no one else, including the
         spouse if married filing jointly, was authorized to act on your behalf in your
         financial matters during the period of disability. If at anytime anyone was
         authorized to act on your behalf, then you are not considered to be financially
         disabled during that period of time. If someone acted for you at any time, you
         are required to provide the exact dates in which the individual was authorized to
        act for you such that this time period may be considered against the full time
        period in question.

It may take more than eight weeks for the return to process. If you have not received
the refund or any correspondence regarding the status, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-
  Does Your Spouse Owe Debts? Keep Your Refund With Injured Spouse.

If you are married filing a joint return with your spouse, and the spouse owes debts
such as child support, student loans, etc, that are subject to offset the combined total
of both spouses federal refunds, the spouse not liable for the debt (commonly known
as the “injured spouse”), can elect to file Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, to
claim their portion of the refund. The spouse, whose portion of a joint income tax
overpayment was or will be offset to a tax or non-tax debt for which he/she is not
liable, is known as the "injured spouse." The injured spouse must file Form 8379,
Injured Spouse Allocation, to request his/her portion of the joint refund. Ideally, this
form should be filed with the current year’s tax return, whether it is filed electronically
or mailed in.

However, if you find that you may qualify for this relief, and were not aware of it, you
may file Form 8379 for a previous tax period as long as your claim is filed within the
applicable statute limitations discussed in the blog topic: Claim for Refund. The
injured spouse must have made payments such as Federal Income Tax Withheld
from wages or Estimated Tax payments, unless Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or
other refundable credits were claimed on the joint return.

The time period for processing an injured spouse claim is up to eleven weeks if you
filed it with your current year’s return electronically and up to thirteen weeks if you
file it via mail.

To check the status of your injured spouse claim at any time, contact the IRS at 1-
800-829-0922 Monday through Friday between the hours of 7am-10pm local time.
                        Let IRS Figure Your Tax or Your Refund

You are filling out your tax return, run into a jam and just can’t quite seem to get a
handle on completing it. You wish to yourself that IRS could finish filling this form out
for you. One of the little known services available to the average person is for the IRS
to figure your tax or your refund. If you qualify, the IRS will not only figure your tax, but
will compute the credit for the elderly and disabled, the earned income credit, and the
new making work pay credit.

You qualify for the IRS to figure your tax if you meet the following criteria:

    1.   You do not choose direct deposit as a method of refund receipt.
   2.    You do not want any part of your refund applied to estimated taxes for 2010.
   3.    You received income is only from the following sources:
          a.    wages, salaries, and tips,
          b.    interest and dividends
          c.    taxable social security benefits
          d.    unemployment compensation
          e.    IRA distributions
          f.    Pensions and annuities.
   4.    Your taxable income is less than 100,000.
   5.    You do not itemize your deductions on Schedule A, Form 1040
   6.    You do not file any of the following forms:
          a. Form 2555, Foreign Earned Income or Form 2555-EZ, Foreign Earned
               Income Exclusion.
          b. Form 4137, Social Security and Medicare Tax on Unreported Tip Income
          c.   Form 4970, Tax on Accumulation Distribution of Trusts
          d.   Form 4972, Tax on Lump Sum Distributions
          e.   Form 6198, At Risk Limitations
          f.   Form 6251, Alternative Minimum Tax-Individuals
          g.   Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs
          h.    Form 8615, Tax for Certain Children Who Have Investment Income of
               More Than 1,900.
          i.    Form 8814, Parents’ Election To Report Child’s Interest and Dividends
          j.    Form 8839, Qualified Adoption Expenses
          k.    Form 8853, Archer MSAs and Long Term Care Insurance Contracts
          l.    Form 8889, Health Savings Accounts
          m.    Form 8915, Qualified Hurricane Retirement Plan Distributions and
          n.    Form 8919, Uncollected Social Security and Medicare Tax on Wages
          o.    Form 8930, Qualified Disaster Recovery Assistance Retirement Plan
               Distributions and Repayments.

If you have passed this battery of tests, here is how you prepare the tax return to be
sent to the Internal Revenue Service.

   1. Complete your name, address, and social security number and the same
      information for your spouse if married filing a joint return.
   2. Complete the line items as they apply to you. This means that on any lines that
      you complete that require a schedule or form be attached, make sure to attach
      that form or schedule.
          a. Form 1040EZ, lines 1-9b. Do not complete lines 10-13. Joint filers need
               to show separately the income belonging to each spouse on line 6.
          b. Form 1040A, lines 1-27 and lines 29-33, 36 and lines 38-43. Do not
               complete line 28, 30, 34, 35, 37, 41a, 43 and 45-49. Joint filers need to
               show separately the income belonging to each spouse next to line 27.
          c. Form 1040, lines 1-43 and lines 45-70. Joint filers need to show
               separately the income belonging to each spouse next to line 37, Adjusted
               Gross Income. IRS will compute line 44. Do not complete line 54- 55,
               60, 71-76.
3. Enter your federal income tax withheld from forms W-2, box 2 or 1099, box 4 on
   the applicable for federal income tax withheld.
      a.    If estimated tax payments were made, enter these payments as follows:
                 i. Line 38 for 1040A filers
                 ii. Line 62 for 1040 filers

4. If claiming the Credit for the Elderly and Disabled, attach Schedule R and enter
   “CFE” next to line 30 for 1040A filers or line 53 for 1040 filers. In addition,
   remember to check the appropriate box on the Schedule R, Part 1 for your age
   and filing status. If applicable, complete Parts 2 and 3, lines 11 and 13.

5. If claiming the Earned Income Credit, enter “EIC” next to the line for the Earned
   Income Credit.
      a. Form 1040EZ filers, Line 9a. Nontaxable combat pay, Line 9b
      b. Form 1040A filers, Line 41a. Nontaxable combat pay, Line 41b. If you
           have a qualifying child, you must complete Schedule EIC, Earned Income
           Credit and enter the social security number for each qualifying person.
      c. Form 1040 filers, Line 64a. Nontaxable combat pay, Line 64b. If you
           have a qualifying child, you must complete Schedule EIC, Earned Income
           Credit and enter the social security number for each qualifying person.

6. If claiming the Making Work Pay Credit, enter “MWPC” next to the line for the
   Making Work Pay Credit.
      a. Form 1040EZ filers, Line 8.
      b. Form 1040A filers, Line 40. Attach Schedule M, Making Work Pay
           Credit. If either you or your spouse received nontaxable veteran’s
           disability or death benefits, enter “VA” next to line 40. If either you or your
           spouse received nontaxable combat pay, did not file Form 8812, and did
           not enter an amount on line 41b, enter “NCP” next to line 40.
      c. Form 1040 filers, Line 63. Attach Schedule M, Making Work Pay Credit.
           If either you or your spouse received nontaxable veteran’s disability or
          death benefits, enter “VA” next to line 40. If either you or your spouse
          received nontaxable combat pay, did not file Form 8812, and did not enter
          an amount on line 41b, enter “NCP” next to line 40.

7. Attach your Forms W-2 and 1099s that show federal income withheld.

8. If you want to designate another person to speak to the IRS on your behalf
   regarding the return, check yes in the third party designee area of your return
   and enter the individual’s name, phone number, and their five digit personal
   identification number (PIN).

9. Sign, date your return, and enter your occupation. If a joint return, both must
   sign. Enter your daytime phone number to allow IRS to contact you if needed.

10. The return must be mailed. Mail the return to the Service Center that services
   the area in which you live. This information can be found in the instruction book
   for your form or at
                                   Supersize My Refund

Have you filed your tax return hoping for at least as much of a refund or substantially
more than the previous year only to find that the amount seems to get smaller? Let’s
just be honest. Before your taxes are prepared, you tell your preparer ever so humbly
that “I hope that I don’t owe”. After you find that you don’t owe, your next question is
"How much is my refund?" It seems that for individuals that have been filing for any
length of time, refunds less than 1000 dollars seem to leave them crestfallen. They
look to the preparer for answers, as though the preparer can “fix it and make it better”.
For the answers that you seek, look no further than your own back yard.

Barring your eligibility for substantial refundable government tax credits, like the Earned
Income Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit, which guarantees you a refund come tax
time, you will have to “create your own refund”, so to speak. This does not mean that
you cheat on a paper or electronic income tax filing until you are satisfied with the
results.    This means that you look at your tax situation from year to year; counting the
costs and make decisions that will have the lowest tax consequence.

You might think that the tax rate from 2008 has increased for tax year 2009. Actually,
though the tax rates stay the same, the amount of taxable income decreased rather
than increased. This means that all things being equal, if you received a refund last
year, your refund on the exact same income would be higher. If this is the case, then
what gives with the smaller refund? This topic is an invitation for you to analyze your
personal tax situation from the previous year to the current in order to explain the
difference. Though each situation and circumstance is unique unto itself, here is a list
of the more common reasons why your refunds are “wimpy”.

   1.      Single, no dependents, with no credits or deductions.
   a. The common ailment that befalls the great majority of individuals. If you want a
        larger refund, you’ll need to pay more as you go. This means increasing your
        withholding on your form W4 from your employer. If you are unable or unwilling
       to have more taxes withheld, try a few of these time honored traditions to refund
 i. Get married. The taxable income rate for joint filers is lower than that of single
 filers. However, this will only work if you file together. Otherwise, getting married but
 filing a separate return in some cases can leave you worse off than if you had been a
 single filer.

ii. Have or adopt a child or children. Between the dependency exemption, child tax
 credit, adoption credit, education credit, child and dependent care expense, tuition and
 fees deduction, earned income tax credit, and additional child tax credit, kids are an
 income tax return bonanza.

iii. Buy a home. Five Words. First Time Homebuyer Tax Credit. Began in 2009 and
 scheduled to expire in April 2010, this mother of all credits is currently taking the tax
 world by storm and single handedly motivating people to buy and become
 homeowners. The up to 8,000 dollar credit doesn’t hurt either.

iv. Return to college. With many individuals out of work, now’s a good time to return to
 college. The best part is that the current law fully supports you in this worthwhile
 endeavor. The increase in the amount and the eligibility of the education credits,
 made up of the Hope Credit and Lifetime Learning Credits, make it cool to go to

2. Having a onetime unique tax consequence whose net affect increases the tax due,
there decreasing the amount of refund that you receive had this event not occurred.
The best way to insure that your refund doesn’t drop significantly should these events
occur would be to have a goodly amount of federal income tax withheld (or make
estimated tax payments) such that money paid in more than offsets the increase in tax.

Examples of this are the following:
a. Selling stock or other property. The increase in value added to your regular income
   put you in a higher tax bracket.
b. Taking money out a 401K or IRA. The money that you withdraw from the 401K or
   IRA was not tax deferred and you do not qualify for an exception to the 10 %

c. Getting divorced. Going from the comfort of the joint filing, the lower taxable income
   rates, the other person’s withholding being able to cover your shortfall, now gone.
   You will now have to look at your filing not through the eyes of your spouse but
   through your own and as your situation exists today. The means that you will need
   to change your W4 withholding from married to single. If you lost the right to claim
   dependents, make sure that you adjust withholding accordingly. The worse thing
   that could happen is that you were blindsided by grief with a tax bill to boot.

3. Change of Circumstances. A few examples of having to adjust to the inevitable:

   a. You house paid off and you now own your home free and clear. Your mortgage
      interest deduction is nonexistent. You will need to increase your withholding to
      cover the shortfall and inevitable elimination of the mortgage interest.
   b. Your kids are grown and are taking care of themselves. “The tax deduction has
      flown the coop!” Unless you plan to start anew with little ones, you will need to
      increase your withholding to cover the eventual removal of the dependents from
      your tax return.
   c. Retirement. A decrease in income generally coincides with a decrease in
      refund. It doesn’t always have to be this way. As a retiree, you too may be
      eligible to take the credit for the elderly, which would lower your tax liability and
      or increase your refund. Otherwise, you will need to arrange to have withholding
      taken from your pension.
   d. Increase in income. The opposite of c above. As your income increases, your
      refund should increase. Review your W4 and check stub to make sure that
      enough federal taxes are being withheld. You should not need to make
estimated tax payments since you have the ability to have the correct amount
withheld from your paycheck each pay period. Go to the IRS website and utilize
their withholding calculator.
             Check and Double Check: IRS Replacement Refund Checks

Have you or someone you know misplaced an IRS refund check only to find it a year
later or longer? Imagine your elation in finding it, only to find that it expired one year
from the issue date. What can you do? Is all lost? No. If you find a refund check that is
older than one year but less than 7 years old, you may be able to obtain a replacement
check. For starters, call the IRS at 1-800-829-0922 in order to find out whether the
refund had been reissued at any point during the last 7 years. If it has, you will be
advised of such, and will have no need for the check that you are currently holding. If
you do not recall getting the check that was issued later, you will need to complete the
necessary paperwork in order for a trace to be initiated. If the check was never
reissued, you will need to send the old check to the Internal Revenue Service Center
where you file your return.

When you send the check back, write “void” on the back of the check in the
endorsement section. Do not write on the front of the check. Allow up to eight weeks for
a response or replacement check from the IRS.

Finally, have you filed a joint return, and stuck with a paper check with two names that
you can’t cash and one of the parties is in absentia? Depending on the circumstances,
you may be able to have the refund issued in the other party’s name alone.

1. If one of the spouses is overseas in the military, you must submit a copy of the Power
of Attorney issued by the branch of the military the individual in serving under or a
signed statement from the individual allowing the refund to be issued to the other

2. If the other spouse is incarcerated (jail), you must secure written permission from the
inmate authorizing the refund to be issued to you.
3. If the spouse is MIA and both of you were still legally married at the time of the
disappearance, you must submit one of the following:

a. A police report of missing person.
b. Certification from state or local agencies that attest to the fact that the individual
cannot be found.
c. A copy of notice printed in the local newspaper.

4. If you are now divorced from the individual you filed jointly with, and your divorce
decree states that you (the requester) should get the refund, provide a copy of it.

You will follow the instructions in paragraph 2 with regard to returning the check. Send
the check along with an explanation and your documentation to the IRS office where
you file your return. If you are unsure as to the address and do not have your instruction
book handy, you may go to the IRS website or click the link at the end of
this topic that will give you the address based on the state that you are located in. To
guarantee receipt, you can mail your items certified or registered, or simply with delivery
or signature confirmation with a tracking number.

To check the status of the refund, feel free to contact the Internal Revenue Service at 1-
800-829-0922 between the hours of 7am to 10 pm Monday through Friday.
             IRS Erroneous Refunds: Today’s Check. Tomorrow’s Regret

How lovely it is to receive your federal tax refund! The day that you have been
anticipating has finally come! Oh the plans you have made and the fun that you will
have. But wait. You already received your federal refund and here comes another
federal refund check? It’s enough to bring a tear of joy to your eye. All is well in the
world. Or is it? What should you do with your new found booty? Should you cash the
check and party like you wish that it was 1999? Or do you call the good old IRS up at
their toll free number to get the low down on this gain? Let’s head down the yellow brick
road and see what happens from beginning to end.

You contact the IRS before cashing the check: Usually, if you get a check, you will
receive a notice in the mail explaining why you received it. For most of us, the notice
that they sent does not mean anything to us anyway, just a bunch of numbers and a
reason for the change that would require us to do too much reading and too much
math. Besides, that what we paid the preparer for, right? We dutifully call the number
on the notice to request an interpretation of the letter that was sent to us. No matter
what the explanation is, the bottom line will be: Do you agree with the changes that the
IRS made on your return to come up with the additional refund that was sent to you?
Yes or no.

Depending on the change, for example, you made an error in calculation and as a
result, you calculated more tax than you should have. This is ok. The explanation I
would be most concerned with is the one in which you are shown to have paid, that is
sent in a check for a certain amount that did not appear on your initial return. In most,
but not all of these instances, the payment belongs to another individual and it was paid
to your account in error. Of course, the mistake was not and still has not been caught.
It could have been the fault of the individual that wrote the check to the IRS and used
an incorrect social security number that just happened to be your number or the IRS
accidentally transposed the number. Be that as it may, if the IRS representative is not
savvy enough to realize what happened and they let you go about your merry way
thinking that check is yours, you can imagine what is going to happen next.
The true owner will eventually contact the IRS with regard to their payment, that is why
their refund is so small or worse yet, why do they owe money when they paid their taxes
in full? The IRS will research and get to the bottom of what happened and find that the
true owner’s money was given to you. You will then receive a notification from the IRS
regarding the fact that they regret that you were issued the check in error and that if you
repay the funds within 21 days, you will not be charged interest. What the…? You
redial the IRS in a rage. The tone of the letter, the situation, all of it enrages you even
more. Charge me interest on your mistake? How dare you? You and the
representative will go round and round, to no avail. You may even get to speak to a
supervisor, maybe not. The story will be the same. Although you called and inquired
about the letter, that was not enough. Subsequent actions that you should have taken,
but probably didn’t know to take, such as ordering account transcripts and giving that
and the letter that you received to the preparer for additional scrutiny would have
produced the truth eventually. In short, the money did not belong to you and you should
have been able to figure that out before the true owner called to make his claim.

The moral of this tale: Check (the check) out before you cash it. Ask yourself, if the
IRS erred in sending me the check, can I afford to repay it later? If you can’t pay it in
the 21 day time period, you can initiate an extension of time to pay for up to 120 days
with interest or an installment agreement with a $105 fee. If the funds have not been
repaid by the time you file for your income tax the following year, if you are due a
refund, the IRS will subtract that amount from your refund. As previously reported in the
blog topic, “Owe Taxes and Can’t Pay…”, if you can’t afford to do any of the
aforementioned items, call and ask to be placed in a “Currently Not Collectible “status.
This status does not eliminate the interest or the fact that your refund would be taken
when you file again.

This is, of course, is the irony of it all. In the end, do not cash a check today that you
can’t repay tomorrow.
                        No Direct Deposit, Guaranteed Return

Are you filing your federal return expecting a refund? By now, everyone is well familiar
with the refund options, that you can get your refund direct deposited into a checking or
savings account or have a check sent directly to your mailbox. In addition, getting your
refund direct deposited assures you of receiving your cash in hand a lot faster than in
the mail. You don’t have to wait the time for a check to be printed and mailed to you.
Nor do you have to run the risk of the postman getting accosted every Friday because it
is well known that he has federal refund checks in his possession, one of which would
be yours.   Even after you get the check, you still have to convert into cash. What a

To save yourself from this drama and hassle, you decide that you will select direct
deposit of your federal refund. Yipes, you do not have a checking or a savings
account. What to do? Instead of going down to your friendly neighborhood bank or
credit union and opening an account to have your refund deposited into your new
account, or even opening an account on the Internet, you instead decide to enlist the
services of any one of the following of a motley crew of individuals to use as a conduit
for your refund:

   1.   A parent
   2.   A friend
   3.   A significant other

Okay, they’ve agreed to allow you to deposit your refund into their account with the
understanding that once it comes in, they will give you the money. Unless any of the
individuals named above is a person that you can trust with your life, let alone your
money, you should not allow the funds to be deposited into their account. Here’s why:

1. Assuming that you do trust the person with your life, before you input the routing and
   bank account number of this individual, either go in person or do a three way call
   with their bank and ask them if their banking policy prohibits deposits from anyone
   other than the account holder. If I were you, since if you’re wrong, you will need to
   wait three weeks for the bank to return the funds and for IRS to issue a check in the
   mail, I would confirm my answer with more than one person to make sure that the
   transaction will go through smoothly.

2. Between the time that your taxes are filed and the date that the refund is scheduled
   to be deposited, what if you have a “falling out” with any of these people, such that
   they get mad at you and decide not to give any of the money to you? Worse yet,
   what if after you are notified of your refund status via the IRS website or automated
   system that your refund was deposited on thus and so date and the individual just
   “disappears”. You try calling them, but they won’t answer or return messages. You
   go to their jobs or places of residence and can’t find them in person. Assuming that
   you know the bank that the money was deposited to, if you are not an account
   holder, you will get no help from the bank. Unless fraud took place, that is, the
   income tax return was fraudulent to begin with; you will get no help from the Internal
   Revenue Service. Your return will show that you submitted a return requesting that
   your refund be deposited to your parents or friends or significant others account, and
   signed the return under penalty of perjury that the information was correct. Your
   only recourse is with local law enforcement or a court of law, assuming they don’t
   give you the 3rd degree about why you would ever allow your refund to be deposited
   into someone else’s account under any circumstances.

Again, in the cases where the bank will return the funds if the funds do not belong to the
account holder, be grateful and glad, especially if the individual had planned to pull a
fast one on you. Though you wait three weeks for a paper check, it is better to wait than
not to receive a check at all.
                 Need A “Real” Rapid Refund? Here’s How To Get It!

In the wake of the announcement that H and R Block is suing HSBC in an effort to
demand contractual performance of their funding the refund loans that “Block's
customers demand” during the filing season, here’s a tip, or two to hold you in good
stead and will allow you to pocket the steep fees Block charges that can exceed
$200 for the service in the event that:

1) H and R Block can no longer offer their Rapid Refund Loans and 2) You want to
get your money as fast as you can in the coming season ahead. These
statements further assume that you are eligible to file electronically and that you

a) Are not a first time filer, b) Do not owe taxes or other federal or state debts that
can potentially be offset, c) Are not filing Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation,
d) Are in bankruptcy or e) Have not filed Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit. Any
of these may increase the timeframe that you can expect your refund.

1. Electronic Filing-In my opinion, one of the single most causes of fraud and identity
theft perpetrated on the masses by many an unscrupulous preparer, whether
professional or not. Nevertheless, for fast tax return processing and refund issuance,
electronic filing is the way to go.

2. Direct Deposit- Even when filing electronically, you may opt to receive your refund
either in your checking or savings account or by mail. Not counting for the additional
days that you must allow for your check to arrive in the mail, when you select direct
deposit, your refund is issued one week earlier.

3. The date that your return is “accepted” by the Internal Revenue Service-
Electronically, a weekly filing and acceptance cycle currently commences on Friday and
ends at 11am the following Thursday. In most cases, if your return is accepted before
11am Thursday morning, you can expect to have your refund the following week when
you select direct deposit as your method of choice for receiving your refund. Note the
term “accepted” and not “filed”. There are times when a return is filed and is rejected.
When this happens, your return is not accepted until you resolve why it was rejected
and resubmit the return to the IRS and obtain a confirmation of acceptance by the IRS.

If you are an individual using software or filing online, you may want to start your
preparation process on the weekend. This will give you plenty of time to work on your
return. Once your return is prepared and submitted electronically, it is important to
check your email or to go back to the program to check your efile status. In most cases,
returns reject within 24 hours of submission. The earlier you check your status, the
faster you can respond by correcting the problem and resubmitting your return.

However, if you have not received an email indicating that your return rejected, don’t
despair; it can take up to 48 hours to be notified of an acceptance confirmation.
However, should you not receive either within 48 hours, you should call the Internal
Revenue Service at 1-800-829-0922 between the hours of 7am to 10 pm Monday
through Friday to check your efile status with a Customer Service Representative.

If they tell you that they have no record of your return being filed, you will need to go
back to the program and navigate to where you left off. More than likely, depending on
the program that you used, you stopped short of transmitting your return electronically
and need to complete that last step. Once you do this, repeat the steps above to insure
that you obtain an acceptance confirmation by 11am.

For those who have their returns prepared by third parties, you will to make your
appointment in enough time for them not only to prepare your return but file it
electronically as well. Since most preparers are notorious for not following up on the e
file status of a return once they have transmitted it, it falls on you the customer to follow
up with the preparer directly within 24 to 48 hours to confirm acceptance of your return
or by calling the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-0922 between the hours of 7am
to 10pm Monday through Friday to check your efile status with a Customer Service
If they tell you that they have no record of your return being filed, you will need to go
back to the preparer to have them correct the problem and resubmit the return. Repeat
the follow up steps until you obtain confirmation of your return’s acceptance by the
following Thursday.
                                 Author biography

Cora Parks is a lifelong Atlantan whose vision is to bring proactive tax counsel and
personal responsibility to the masses in the area of taxation. Other titles include
Disputing IRS Penalties, W4 What 4, How To Pay The IRS When You’re Broke, Beware
of Preparer and Everyday Tax Tips.

To top