Health & Safety by 9Q0btsD


									                              Health & Safety
                        Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who should I contact with my health and safety enquiry?

A: If your enquiry relates to:

      Insurance, contact Tricia de Beaux, Human Resources Manager, 0131 243
      Any health and safety matter, contact Marie Innes, Risk Enablement Manager
       (0141 418 3933) or email the health and safety mailbox
      Completed accident and incident forms, email to the health and safety mailbox

Q: Is it okay to accept home baking (e.g. buns, cakes or biscuits) from a staff
member, family member or carer to be eaten by people with dementia who use
our services (e.g. day care)

A: “ Regulation (EC) No. 852/2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs applies ‘only to
undertakings, the concept of which implies a certain continuity of activities and a
certain degree of organisation’. Thus, if a staff member or person using the service
prepares goods for a group/event on a single occasion, or very occasionally, then the
regulations would not apply.

Regulation (EC) No. 178/2002 on the principles of general food law includes food
safety requirements which must be met regardless of whether the food activities merit
registration. It sets out 'food safety requirements': in particular, that food shall not be
placed on the market if it is unsafe. It is deemed to be unsafe if it is considered to be
injurious to health or unfit for human consumption. The provision of home baking
described….is unlikely to constitute the activity of a food business, and the Agency
sees no reason why this activity could not take place.

Your Local Authority should be able to provide further advice on this scenario, taking
into account the service(s) specific circumstances. Contact information can be
accessed at the following link: ”

(response from Simon Craig, Food Standards Agency Scotland)

Q: If a person with dementia prepares food (e.g. a pot of soup/ batch of cakes) in
a service e.g. day care, with support from staff, does this person have to consume
the food themselves, take home what they have prepared for later use or can they
share it with other people who use the service?

A: If the service provides food for people using the service, and is therefore registered
as a food business with the Environmental Health dept of the relevant Local
Authority, any person who uses the service helping with food preparation should be

                                                                                 Page 1 of 5
directed by staff to ensure that the requirements of Regulation (EC) No. 852/2004
2004_en.pdf ) are complied with, and that food safety procedures are taken into

As each service will have a different set of circumstances for this scenario, you should
contact your Local Authority for more detailed advice. Contact information can be
accessed at the following link:

In addition to this, refer to the HSE’s “Example risk assessment for food preparation,
cooking and service” (Copy on the intranet - H&S manual)

Q: Can people with dementia bring and use their power tools (e.g. electric drill,
saw) at workshops that are organised by Alzheimer Scotland, e.g. garden club or
wood work?

A: A suitable and sufficient risk assessment must be carried out, as it would be when
any sharp items are used. It should be established at the outset that the tool is
appropriate for the task and it must be examined to ensure it is double insulated, in
good condition and free from obvious defects such as damaged casing, frayed
electrical cable, etc; in which case it should not be used. For more information on
electrical safety please see the following link:
Hand and eye protection such as gloves, goggles or safety glasses should be worn as
appropriate and it should be ensured that both the person and their supervisor are not
exposed to injury from entanglement or trapping through the wearing of loose
clothing or jewellery. The environment in which the activity is taking place should
also be suitable and where relevant, sufficient lighting must be provided to enable the
activity to take place safely.

The person must be supervised by someone who is confident with the use of such
tools and can observe that the person with dementia is able to use the tools
appropriate and safely, only then the activity can continue. The person who is
supervising should continually observe and reassess the person’s ability to make
judgements and safe decisions. If the methods of use become unsafe, the person may
need more support or alternative activities.

Q: If volunteers are willing to carry out labour intensive tasks to reduce costs
incurred by services (e.g. painting, decorating or building a summer hut), will
they be covered by Alzheimer Scotland’s Public Liability insurance?

A: Alzheimer Scotland’s public liability insurance will cover volunteers to carry out
manual labour tasks such as painting, decorating or building items. However if it
becomes evident that the task e.g. building of items will potentially involve lifting
heavy materials, bulky or unwieldy items, then there is a risk of injury from manual

                                                                              Page 2 of 5
All work carried out must be risk assessed and we can not allow volunteers to
undertake such tasks where the hazard exists, unless they have completed our
documented Manual Handling training.

Contact the Risk Enablement Manager by emailing the Health and Safety mailbox
(health& if you are in doubt about the type of manual labour
activity a volunteer can carry out before work commences.

Q: Do I need to do anything to protect the health and safety of new and
expectant mothers?

A: Yes - The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 (MHSW)
include regulations that protect the health and safety of new and expectant mothers
who work. Under the Sex Discrimination Act 1975, if an employer fails to protect the
health and safety of their pregnant workers, it is automatically considered sex
discrimination. As an employer, you are required to conduct a risk assessment for
your employees, which should also include any specific risks to females of
childbearing age who could become pregnant and any risks to new and expectant
mothers. Use the workplace risk assessment form rather than the form used for people
we support. When conducting the risk assessment points to consider are:
     Does the person have to lift / carry heavy loads?
     Does the person work long hours?
     Does the person spend long periods in one position (sitting/standing)?
     Could start times be adjusted, to reduce effects of morning sickness?
     Is there a risk of violence?

Please refer to HSE guidelines for more information “A guide for new and expectant
mothers who work” (Copy on the intranet – H&S manual) and HSE’s “New and
expectant mothers at work: A guide for employers”

Q: Is Alzheimer Scotland legally obliged to send staff home if temperatures
become too low/high?

A: Each case must be assessed on an individual basis. A risk assessment must be
carried out. You should try to make reasonable adjustments to remedy the situation if
staff members are unable to work in reasonable comfort and/or put contingency plans
in to practice. However, there may be some situations when it will become apparent
that it is no longer reasonable to expect employees to remain at work because of
temperature levels and so they should be sent home. If not, it could become a legal
issue if an employee makes a complaint.

There is guidance on the HSE website regarding maximum/minimum workplace
temperatures, see link:
Please note that these temperatures may not, however, ensure reasonable comfort,

                                                                            Page 3 of 5
depending on other factors such as air movement and relative humidity. There is
further guidance on the intranet with regards to contingency plans, e.g. use of portable
electric heaters.

Q: Where can I get help to complete my workplace risk assessments?

A: The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website ( provides
excellent web based tools that take you step by step through the various stages needed
to complete a risk assessment for some specific workplace types. You can select to
complete a one off risk assessment or you can register your email with the site, so it
prompts you every 12 months to review the current risk assessment. Below are links
to an office based risk assessment and a charity shop risk assessment:

The HSE also provide a 5 step guide to risk assessments, see link:

For further guidance, see Alzheimer Scotland risk assessment policy and forms on the

Q: How many first aiders do I need in my service/building?

A: There are no hard and fast rules on exact numbers of first aiders required as it
depends on factors such as numbers of staff and whether the environment is high or
low hazard. e.g; for low hazard premises such as offices, the minimum requirement is
to have an "appointed person" to take charge of first aid arrangements and a suitably
stocked first-aid box. The HSE’s current suggestion is that for low hazard premises
with less than 25 employees then there should be at least one appointed person and for
between 25-50 employees at least one first aider trained in EFAW (Emergency First
Aid at Work).

There is an online assessment tool on the HSE website which guides you through the
first aid requirements for your particular circumstances.

For further guidance, refer to the ‘First Aid Guidance’ on the intranet (H&S manual)
for details regarding what the responsibilities of an appointed person are, what should
be contained in a first aid box and who is covered by our insurance when
administering first aid.

Q: What type of training should a first aider receive?

A: The course needs to be an HSE approved training course. There has been a recent
change to the HSE guidance. The guidance now states "the mandatory four-day First
Aid at Work (FAW) training courses are reduced to three days and there will also be
an option for a one-day course in Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW) for smaller
businesses. All FAW qualified first-aiders will still have to attend a two-day

                                                                              Page 4 of 5
requalification course every three years. HSE will strongly recommend annual
refresher training for qualified first-aiders. Although not mandatory, it will help them
maintain their basic skills and keep up to date with any changes to first aid
procedures. If guidance is followed employers should be best placed to meet their
legal responsibilities".

For further details on the recent changes regarding first aid training, visit the HSE
website, with this link:

Q: What items do I need in a first aid box?

A: There is no mandatory list of items to put in a first-aid box. It depends on what
you assess your needs to be. The “First Aid Guidance” (on the intranet – H&S
manual) contains a suggested list of contents for first aid boxes.

Q: Will there be any repercussions after a false fire alarm at my place of work?

A: If the fire brigade is called to the premises more than once, for an accidental,
trivial incident such as burnt toast, you could be liable for a fine of £200.

Q: Who should I contact if my health and safety enquiry has not been answered
by this list of FAQ’s?

A: Email the health and safety mailbox (health& or call Marie
Innes, Risk Enablement manager on 0141 418 3933

                                                                                Page 5 of 5

To top