campaign The contest
can be for
is a the mayor
between some president of
candidates. the United
• A candidate is the person that is
competing for your votes.
The method of secret voting by means
of printed or written ballots or by
means of voting machines.
• You may vote based on an issue,
which is a topic of concern.
• When voting for an issue there are
many things to learn.
• The word party in elections means
people with common goals.
• There are two familiar parties you will
see mentioned at the polls.
• Republicans and Democrats are the two
main parties in the U.S. You can learn
what each party represents by reading
• Every four years the parties have a
caucus, which chooses delegates to go
to that party’s convention
representing all of the 50 states.
• A meeting of party leaders held in a
• The delegates from every state gather
at a big convention., which is an even
larger meeting that gets plenty of
attention. The delegates begin voting
as they promised they would do.
When the convention is over, the
voting will soon be left to you.
• A delegate is a representative who
helps decide who will run in the race.
• The candidates will campaign now, or
begin their political race. This race is
not a marathon. It’s a competition to
re-elect or to replace. On the Tuesday
after the first Monday in November it
will be Federal Election Day for the
United States all over our country.