AMERICAN POLITICS – TEST 2 STUDY GUIDE
1. What is a caucus? Primary? Mandate? Elector? Pros? Cons?
2. Describe the characteristics of caucus participants?
3. What is soft money? Explain the pros and cons?
4. Describe some characteristics of modern campaign.
5. What is the Electoral College. Pros? Cons?
6. What is the 1974 Federal Elections Campaign Act? Pros? Cons?
7. What are the determinants of how Americans vote? Why?
8. What is the New Right? Why does it exist? Pros? Cons?
9. What is a congressional caucus? When was it used and why?
10. What is a national convention? When was it used and why?
11. What is the mixed system? When was it used and why?
12. What is the significance of the 1968 Democratic National Convention? What happened?
13. What are superdelegates and why do we have them?
14. What are matching funds? What is the point of having them?
15. What is the invisible primary? Why does it exist? Pros? Cons?
16. What is front loading? Why does it happen?
17. What is the the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act (BCRA)
18. What are 527 organizations? Why do they exist? Pros? Cons?
19. Describe and explain the history of how presidential candidates were chosen up until
20. What are the weaknesses of the current presidential nominating process?
21. Discuss the role of the media in the nomination process.
22. What is the Electoral College and how does it work?
23. What is party identification and how does it affect presidential elections?
24. What are 527s? Where did they come from and what do they do?
25. Explain the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act (BCRA). What were its objectives and
what are its major provisions?
26. What role does government performance have in voting?
27. Describe Proposition 30, 31, 32 and any other current proposition.