DIRECTIONS: Underline or copy the prepositional phrase in each sentence below.
1. The first census of our country was taken in 1790.
2. Tons of violets are made into perfume each year.
3. The heart of a person pumps more than four quarts of blood in one minute.
4. The United States Patent Office was established in 1836.
5. One of the secrets of success is the wise use of leisure time.
6. The Chamber of Commerce held its annual banquet at this hotel.
7. Duke Ellington was born in Washington, D.C.
8. Deposits of iron ore exist near ’the western end of the Great Lakes.
9. The bridge across this stream was destroyed by the recent storm.
10. Many herds of cattle once grazed on these plains.
11. The huddle in football was first used by the team from Georgia University in 1896.
12. The first skyscraper was built in Chicago.
13. Travelers of a century ago journeyed by stagecoach.
14. The tower of Delhi in India is a monument to the skill of its builders.
15. The quiet of the evening was broken by the rumbling of thunder.
16. The pilot of the plane was injured when the parachute caught in a tree.
17. Aviation was born on a sand dune in North Carolina in 1903.
18. The first trolley car was installed in Richmond in 1885.
19. A box of rusty nails was in the corner of the garage.
20. Don't Stand near the edge of that steep cliff.
21. The ground was covered with a deep snow.
22. Twenty cars were involved in the accident on the expressway.
23. The study of geography brings us the stories of other lands.
24. A thin column of smoke rose from the chimney of the cabin.
25. In the distance we saw the top of the snow capped peak.
26. Truthfulness is the basis of good character.
27. At one time Philadelphia was the capital of the United States.
28. The football sailed between the goal posts.
29. The report of the secretary was given at the beginning of the meeting.