Reading Power: An Introductory Lesson
*Objective: to introduce students to the 5 reading power strategies.
*Question: Teacher Voice “ What parts of your body do you use when you read?
Answers will vary – Important part = BRAIN
*Introduce Reading Power Poster (or poster of Howard)
Teacher Voice “ Howard is a good reader because when Howard is
reading his brain is busy.”
“There are 5 things going on in the brain when you’re reading…..
1) Connecting – “That reminds me of ……”
a) another character
b) an event in my life
c) another person
2) Asking Questions – “I wonder why….”
3) Visualizing/Making Pictures in Your Head – “I can really picture this….”
4) Inferring – “Well maybe….”
Try and figure out things the author leaves out by the clues he
5) Transforming – “Now I’m thinking…..”
Some changes happen inside your head.
Thinking looks different to every person because each of us
has different ideas and experiences stored in our heads.
Optional: Use the “Howard’s Head Powerpoint Show”