CALL FOR INTEREST IN STANDARDS ON BROADBAND OVER POWER LINES MEETING
7 JUNE 2004
DENVER, COLORADO USA
1. Introduction and Goals
The meeting began at 10:00 am. Jim Carlo (IEEE-SA President) with support from John Estey presided over
the meeting. The Chair, Jim Carlo, asked that everyone introduce themselves and provide a brief background.
2. Power Engineering Society Presentation and Update
A short update was given by:
- Bruce Dietzman, Vice President, PES Technical Activities
- John Newbury, Power Systems Communication Committee
- Eric W. Gunther, EnerNex Corporation
- Bruce Renz Amperion
- Jim Mollenkopf, Current Technologies
- Fred Marksch, FMA Direct
- Eric Sacher,Serendipity Systems, Inc.
- Joseph A. Marsilli, Jr., Main.net, Power Line Communications, Inc.
- Ed Hare, American Radio Relay League (ARRL)
- Paul Henry, AT&T Labs – Research
- Alex Gelman, Panasonic
- Mark Laubach, Broadband Physics, Inc.
- Oleg Logvinov, Arkados Inc. and Home Plug Alliance
- Victor Dominguez, DS2
4. Summary and Next Steps
After discussion, the following points were made regarding the next steps
a) Utilities to play a major part
b) Coordination with HomePlug Alliance
c) It is important to manage resources and expectations
d) Coordination with ETSI and other European SDOs
e) Suggestion for layout of standards work:
1. Construction, safety, reliability - Power Society (Bruce Dietzman) will drive this portion.
2. Media - has to have gross characteristics (transmission , etc.)
3. Physical layer (Interference)
f) IEEE should not stall marketplace by taking too long to develop standards
g) Important to consider emissions - how to standardize measurement
Five Leaders for the next meeting volunteered:
Alex Gelman (IEEE Communications Society)
Victor Dominguez (European Telecommunications Standards Institute)
John Newbury (IEEE Power Engineering Society)
Oleg Logvinov (HomePlug)
Brett Kilbourne (United Power Line Council)
Proposed next meeting:
IEEE Operations Center Piscataway NJ
Tuesday 20 July, 9-5pm, Dinner to follow
Wednesday 21 July 8am - noon
5. The meeting was adjourned at 3:00 pm.
Action Items for Staff
1. Create a reflector using the meeting attendees e-mail addresses.
2. Reserve room at Piscataway and assign a staff person to do the meeting planning. A meeting fee will
cover the lunch, dinner and other charges.
3. Send out the minutes to the meeting.
4. Create a website for BPL and put all presentations on for attendees to download if desired.
5. Copy and PDF the business cards of attendees and post the files to website.