Introduction: The College Board web site (www.collegeboard.com) has lots of information for you to
explore. This gives you a feel for some of the things you can find. THIS IS NOT a group project. Each
person must do it themselves. NOTE you may do some copying and pasting if it helps but sometimes it
throws off your outline.
You must research two things (2 colleges, 2 majors, or one of each)
A – Researching for Colleges
B- Researching Majors
Each college or major researched is worth 40 points. Last 20 points is for MLA Headings. For a full
homework grade you want to get to 100 points.
Use MLA headings – don’t forget your lastname and page number in the right header area.
The information must be done in an outline form similar to the requested information. Sometimes
though cutting and pasting can ruin your outline. So be careful. Make it look nice. No paragraphs.
A: Directions: Researching Colleges – Look up the following information
Go to www.collegeboard.com
Click on For Students
Click Find Colleges in the center of the page
Go to the upper right corner and search for a specific name or use the filters on the left to find
explore your interests.
Find the following information and type up a document
Outline can be single spaced.
1. Name and Location – city and state
2. Web address –
3. Type of school – Public, Private, coed, university, four year, two year etc.
4. Percent of applicants admitted
5. Size – Total undergraduates
6. Students Body – first year%
b. Out-of state
c. Men to women
d. Percentage of a few ethnic groups
7. Cost and Financial Aid – (Go to top and click on link about cost)
a. In state tuition – specify if it is living on campus or living at home
b. Out of state tuition
c. Estimated personal expenses
d. Books & supplies expenses
e. Estimated travel expenses
8. SAT area - Go to top and click on SAT Link
a. Type the average scores for critical reading, math, and writing
b. ACT scores
9. Majors – list out two or three majors and % of students in that major.
10. Note if you have printer problems you should save the file and send to me as an Attached file.
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org and yourself - MUST put your name and period in the subject
a. print at the library or you can come before or after school to print in my room.
B: Directions for Researching Careers / Majors – look up the following information
On www.collegeboard.com go to student area find the link about majors and careers
1. Name of career category – example Health Technology
2. Name of career / major – Pharmacy Technician
3. Description of career or major - there should be one that is brief – 2 or 3 sentences
4. Related majors - On the right side click on one of the related majors
a. Name the major - Cut and paste the basic description of the major (it is in red)
b. List 2 high school courses that would be helpful.
c. 3 related major courses - On right side of this type the names of the courses of this
d. 3 related majors – list three other majors that are related to the first one you chose.
This is also on the right side.
5. Related Careers – click on one
a. Name the career – cut and paste the basic description of the career
b. Scroll to the very bottom and cut and paste the compensation – salary.