International Students and Scholars Office
B-50 Caldwell Hall B-50 Caldwell Hall
Ithaca, New York 14853-2602
Labor Certification Application (PERM)
• Teaching must be at least 20% part of the foreign national’s job duties.
• Applications must be filed within 18 months of the selection. The Department of
Labor will accept the date of the offer letter as the “selection” date.
• Employer must have conducted a competitive recruitment and selection process (i.e.
standard Cornell search) and documentation must clearly show that the foreign
national was the most qualified applicant.
The position for which the applicant is being sponsored must be permanent. In
addition, the job requirements must be closely related to job duties, and the applicant
being sponsored must possess the required education, experience and other relevant
requirements at the time of offer of employment. Special Note: Time spent by the
employee in Cornell employment may not be used to meet experience requirements,
except in special circumstances. Please read the information and instructions in this
The following documentation must be submitted to the ISSO:
1. Prevailing Wage data sheet
2. Original of a position announcement posted on a department bulletin board
or other appropriate Cornell sites. This is NOT THE SAME as the H1B
posting! The position description must include the description of the job
duties, the minimum requirements for the job, the salary, and who to contact
if interested. (See attached position announcement template)
a. If the hiring unit utilized in-house media to advertise open positions,
the announcement must also be posted in these venues.
b. The posting must occur at least 30 days but no more than 18 months
before the ISSO may file the petition. Please note, this means that
the ISSO can not submit the petition until 30 days after the
posting is completed.
c. The posting must be clearly visible in an unobstructed location for 10
consecutive business days.
d. If any workers doing similar work have been laid off within the
preceding 6 months, notification to these individuals may need to be
made. Discuss with ISSO if this is a possibility.
3. Original advertisement from national journal. The whole page from the
journal should be submitted. The date of the advertisement must show; if the
journal’s name is not noted on the page, include a copy of its cover. The job
advertisement should include the job title, salary range, job duties, education
required, experience required and other special requirements.
4. A list of each and every recruitment sources utilized. Please provide a detailed
list, spell out acronyms, and provide dates. If position announcement was sent
to other colleges and universities, submit a copy of the mailing list and the
5. A letter (original and two copies) which contains the following information:
a. Number of US workers responding; number of US worker interviewed
b. Wages and working conditions offered
c. Indicate lawful job-related reasons why US applicants were considered
unqualified and/or evidence that a qualified applicant was offered the
position but declined it
d. A statement describing the successful applicant’s qualifications;
including education, professional qualifications and academic
e. And the DATE (mo/day/yr) the successful applicant was offered the
6. DRAFT copy of Form 9089, (Sections G, H and I, J and K). Fill in as
completely as possible. ISSO will complete the final copy and will contact
you if there are questions about your data. Note: all dates must be listed in
mm/dd/yyyy format. Applicant will have to provide data elements for J and K.
7. A memo indicating where all applicant’s resumes’ or CVs for the position will
be retained (in the event of a DOL audit). Please note that other applicant’s
materials must be kept for at least 5 years).
8. Copies of the successful applicant’s letters of reference.
9. Applicant’s CV and Diploma
Prevailing Wage Data Sheet
INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR PREVAILING WAGE DETERMINATION:
1. Title of position offered:
2. Annual salary or hourly rate:
3. Hours worked per week:
4. Minimum degree required for the position:
5. Field(s) of Study required or accepted:
6. Years of experience or training REQUIRED for position, describe in detail:
7. List all work sites for this position.
____ Cornell University Campus, Ithaca, NY
____ Other (list) :
8. Job duties for this position (be as detailed as possible, attach a
description, if necessary):
9. Job Title of the Supervisor
10. Will the position supervise other employees? If yes, how many?
11. Will travel be a required part of duties? If yes, explain.
12. Are there any other working conditions that affect the rate of pay? If yes,
NOTICE OF FILING FOR
ALIEN EMPLOYMENT CERTIFICATION
This notice is being provided as a result of the filing of an application for
permanent alien labor certification for the position of (insert position title) in
the (insert department or hiring unit name), Cornell University.
Any person may provide documentary evidence bearing on the application to
the local Employment Service Office and/or the regional Certifying Officer of
the Department of Labor.
US Department of Labor
Employment and Training Administration
Foreign Labor Certification National Processing Center
Attn: Certifying Officer
233 Peachtree St., Suite 410
Atlanta, GA 30303
(Insert Position Description Here; must include description of job duties, the
minimum educational and experience requirements for the job, the salary,
and statement about working conditions (i.e non-hazardous)
Interested applicants should report to _________(name)____________
Ithaca, NY 14853-6201
Attestation: This notice has been physically posted for 10 consecutive
business days, from ________ (date) to_________(date).