Connectives and Rhetorical
Features of Effective Persuasion
Use the following to make your argument
• A connective is a word that is used to link one sentence to
another or extend it.
• “We do not yet know much about Jekyll himself, although we
will find out more as the story progresses. We do, however,
know more about Hyde.”
• “Furthermore, the story is full of mystery”.
• These are effective as it allows you to create more complex
sentences and also allows you to emphasise your points even
• A rhetorical question is when the speaker does
not require an answer.
• “Is it not so, that.....”
• “Are we supposed to just let Africa starve?”
• It is an effective way of convincing someone to
agree with you; they would have to be crazy (and
wrong) to disagree!!!