Suggestions for Students Preparing to Transfer to
Western Illinois University
Seeking a Mathematics Major with Secondary Teacher Certification
While at the community college, it is always a good idea to consult the catalog of the institution to
which one plans to transfer to be aware of program requirements at the institution. Most institutions
make their catalogs available online (the URL for W.I.U. is below).
Suggestions for transfer students coming to Western Illinois University seeking a Mathematics
Major with Secondary Teacher Certification
1. Complete the Calculus sequence, if possible.
2. Take a course that will transfer as EIS 201 (EIS = Education and Interdisciplinary Studies),
Educational Psychology-Human Growth and Development. Consult W.I.U.’s Transfer
Articulation Handbook (URL below) to see which course from your community college will
transfer to W.I.U. as EIS 201.
3. Our program requires a two-course sequence in science, so when taking science courses,
complete a two-course sequence (for example, a sequence of two courses in chemistry, biology,
geology, or physics).
4. Obtaining an associate’s degree or the “IAI general education” will make it so that you do not
need to take any general education courses at W.I.U. This could be the AAT, but the
associate’s degree need not be an AAT degree.
5. Consult the W.I.U. University Catalog for other courses in the mathematics major you may
wish to take at the community college to transfer to W.I.U. Also consult the IAI website (URL
6. Pass the Illinois Basic Skills Test for teachers.
7. Familiarize yourself with WIU’s Technology Competency Assessment (see http://wiu.edu/tca/)
and consider doing it in the summer before you arrive. These are very useful skills.
8. Plan on taking Math 303 (a Fall-only course) the first semester at W.I.U. In addition, take Stat
276 and EIS 301 during your first semester at W.I.U.
9. Scholarships in math are available for transferring students. Consult the scholarship
information (available online) and apply for a scholarship if you qualify.
Mathematics Section: http://www.wiu.edu/catalog/programs/math.shtml
Transfer Articulation Handbook
IAI (Illinois Articulation Initiative) Web site
W.I.U. Mathematics Department Homepage
Jim Olsen’s Homepage
Prepared by Jim Olsen ~ W.I.U. ~ Printed: 11/5/2012