Lord of the Flies Chapter 9-12
Provide part of speech and choose the correct definition for each underlined word
1. Then as the blue material of the parachute collapsed the corpulent figure would bow forward,
sighing, and the flies settle once more (146). _____________________________________
2. The boys with the spit gave Ralph and Piggy each a succulent chunk (149).
3. Piggy sat expressionless behind the luminous wall of his myopia (169).
4. Truculently they squared up to each other but kept just out of fighting distance (177).
5. Piggy, reassured by the cessation of violence, stood up carefully (178).
6. Piggy stood still holding out the talisman, the fragile, shining beauty of the shell (180).
7. The storm of sound beat at them, an incantation of hatred (180). _____________________________
8. the twins started their antiphonal speech (188). _________________________________
9. Eric raised his head and achieved a faint ululation by beating on his open mouth (189).
10. He heard a curious trickling sound and then a louder crepitation as if someone were unwrapping
great sheets of cellophane. __________________________________
An object with magic power
Fat, large, bulky
A ritual chant, charm or magic spell
Speaking back and forth in a responsive or alternating pattern
Howl or wail