December 6, 1941 – FDR approves the Manhattan Project which is the
development of the atomic bomb
- General Leslie Groves was in charge
- Thousands of scientists employed
- $2 billion
- Top secret even Truman was not in the loop until after FDR died on April
- Truman takes office and is told about the project
Island Hopping (strategy)
- General Douglas McArthur – “I shall return” Originally he was chased out of
the Philippines and was humiliated. He had to leave thousands of men
behind as POWs.
- Planned a land attack in the Philippines.
- Admiral Nimitz (admiral of Navy)
- The strategy involves leap frog over strongly held island bases and cut off
the island from supplies.
- They called it withering on the vine
- They used U.S. submarine blockade and arsenal bombing.
- October 1944 – Philippines are taken back under the Allies control.