Right to Read
• Imagine another person denying your right to
read just as you were discovering the power of
• If you were enslaved and had no choice but to
submit to your owner’s wishes, would you risk
continuing your learning?
Love and War
• All’s Fair in Love and War: This phrase has
been used to excuse everything from trivial
lies to wide-scale atrocities. Do you think
there are times when the rules of the game
involve no rules at all?
Topic: Extreme Activities
Some people enjoy pushing themselves to
their limits through sports such as rock
climbing and sky diving.
What is an activity that is too extreme for
you? What is an extreme sport/activity that
you would consider trying?
Life Changing Events
• Often, life-changing events-a chance
encounter with someone who becomes
important in our lives, the loss of a loved one,
a sudden move to a new place-sneak up on us
• Describe a time when this happened to you.
Divorce Rate Trends
Chopin’s “The Story of an Hour”
• In 1900 the divorce rate was .7 percent.
• In 2008 the divorce rate was 3.6 percent.
• Why do you think this number has risen so
dramatically over the years?
“An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge”
• Have you ever experienced “bending of time”
(moments seem extraordinarily long or drawn
out; time seems to stand still)?
• Think about times where you were very
nervous or anxious for something to happen
or times that contained extreme emotions.