Chapter 3 NOTES OUTLINE:
• Atoms are the smallest building blocks of matter, that cannot be broken down by
• Nucleus: Center of the atom. Contains protons and neutrons. Has a positive
• Large area that surrounds the nucleus and contains the electrons.
– Divided into different energy levels or orbitals.
– Valence electrons are in the outermost level.
• Chemical bonds are formed when atoms share or exchange electrons.
• Compounds are formed when elements bond.
– Covalent Compounds are formed when 2 elements share a covalent bond.
• Molecules with a partial electric charge on one side are called Polar molecules
• When bonded to oxygen, nitrogen, or flourine, hydrogen maintains a slight