Chapter 35: Daily Life in Ancient Rome
Review the sections in History Alive’s Chapter 35 and consider
the following questions as well:
1) Introduction: Why was the Forum important? Why did the Romans feel
“All roads lead to Rome?”
2) Daily Life: How was life different for the poor and rich?
3) Law and Order: What were some similarities and differences between
Roman and our modern law and order?
4) Religion: Who were the Roman gods and goddesses? (see Roman Mythology
Chart in your handouts and notes) Who influenced the Romans with religion?
5) Family Life: What was the family structure called?
6) Food and Drink: Where might the poor eat? What kinds of foods would
the rich and poor eat?
7) Housing: How did the houses differ between the rich and poor?
8) Education: Who received an education in Rome?
9) Recreation: Why would the Romans go the Colosseum and the Circus
Maximus? Why did the emperors give the poor “bread and circuses?”
10) Country Life: When might wealthy people enjoy visiting the country?
Be familiar with your vocabulary words:
Rule of Law
Review “Roman Gods” chart; you are responsible for knowing
the Roman gods only.