Standing lab orders for nursing staff (All orders will be entered into EHR in the
Assessment and Plan portion of the chart note for the encounter)
1. UPT- confirmation of pregnancy, absent menses
2. Rapid Strep screen- Sore throat
3. Nasal swab –colds, flu, and sore throat ****new****
4. UA complete- urinary frequency or dysuria
5. UA dip for protein/glucose- all prenatal patients
6. Urine chlamydia and gonorrhea - STD screen, confirmation of pregnancy
7. Rapid HIV- Baseline for all patients ages 13-65, STD screen, and prenatal intake.
8. Fasting lipid plus, HgA1C, Urine microalbumin/Creatinine- all diabetic patients
due for testing.
9. Capillary lead/hemoglobin- all 1-5 year olds that have not had their lead screen
after 1 and 2 years of age.
10. 50 gram GTT- 24-28 weeks prenatal
11. Hemoglobin- each trimester of pregnancy and postpartum visit.
Standing procedure orders:
1. Peak Flows- All asthma patients, dyspnea and wheezing
2. Vision and Hearing- All WCC visits 3 years and up
3. TDAP booster- all adults who have not had a tetanus booster in 10 years.
4. Influenza and H1N1 vaccine- all children over 6 months old, adults, and prenatal
5. PPD placement and reading. Patient must see a provider if the PPD reading is
positive; for confirmation of the reading, CXR order and management.
6. PHQ9- all patients with depression, diabetes, new patients, prenatal intakes,
parent of infant less than one year of age. Depression every visit for
depression, others once a year.
Deborah Mielke, MD