Guiding Questions for Woodland Animals
Part 1: Basic Needs Source #s________
shelter food climate habitat
water oxygen reproduce
1. An environment is also called a ________________.
2. All animals need f__________, w____________, and o___________.
3. Animals also need livable weather conditions called proper ___________.
4. A __________________ provides an animal protection from predators and
5. To survive, an animal species must be able to ___________ and raise their
Part 2: Physical and Behavioral Adaptations
physical adaptation instinct behavioral adaptation adaptations
1. Special features or characteristics that help animals meet their needs are
2. A giraffe’s long neck is an example of a __________ ____________.
3. _______________ ________________ is how an animal acts to help it
4. The special ability to know what to do to survive is called ____________.
Part 3: Adaptations to Get Food Source #s________
energy instinct eating teeth
1. Knowing how to get food can be either by i______________ or by
2. To survive, all animals must have __________________ that they get from
3. Two examples of physical adaptations to help animals eat are
____________________ and _____________________.
Part 4: Physical Characteristics of the ______________. Source #____
Color Size Diet
Other interesting information
In which layer of the forest is the ____________ found?
Part 5: Interdependence Source #s________
Chain reaction herbivore food chain
Carnivores interdependence omnivores
1. People or animals who eat lots of different meats and vegetables are called
2. Animals that only eat meat are called ________________________.
3. A ________________________ is an animal that only eats plants.
4. The order that animals feed on other plants and/or animals is called a
5. What happens if one plant or animal disappears from the food chain?
6. That is called a ______________________ _______________________.
7. When all animals depend on each other to survive that is called
Think about this:
What would happen to the animals if all the trees in the forest were killed?
Are the animals dependent on the trees and plants, too?