SUBJECT: ‘’ Living underground” – reading comprehension.
AIMS OF THE LESSON:
Poznawczy/cognitive – make students acquainted with new
Kształcący/instructive – practicing the skill of reading,
developing the ability to guess words from the context by means
of definitions and listen to the text for general understanding
Wychowawczy/educational – practicing individual work, pair
work and the ability to cooperate with others
Xerocopies – Opportunities Pre-Intermediate
FORMS OF WORK:
Opportunities Pre-Intermediate, Longman
STAGES OF THE LESSON
1. CHECKING ATTENDANCE.
play the tape and ask students to guess what the article is going to be about
1. people working underground
2. homeless people
3. underground transport system
write the subject on the board
PRE – READING:
Ask students general questions concerning the homeless, eg.
1. Why do people become homeless?
2. Have you ever met a homeless person?
3. Where do homeless people live?
Ask students to read the text quickly
POST – READING:
Ask students what they’ve found out about these people
Ask students to do vocabulary exercise
Ask students to match the paragraphs with the titles
Ask students to do comprehension questions
Ask students to write five sentences with some of the words or expressions from
Ask students to do the writing
I. MATCH THE WORDS WITH THE DEFINITIONS.
1. investigates a. bezdomni
2. increases b. zarabiać
3. mole people c. niestety
4. unfortunately d. mieszkańcy
5. city council e. błagać
6. therefore f. prowadzić śledztwo
7. homeless g. wzrasta
8. self-sufficient h.dlatego
9. second-hand i. miejsce przetwórstwa wtórnego
10. tins j. puszki
11. inhabitants k. rozwinąć
12. to make a living l. używane
13. beg m. samowystarczalni
14. recycling plant n. rada miasta