NORSACA ADULT & YOUNG PEOPLE’S SERVICES
JOB DESCRIPTION – Maintenance Manager
Grade: SCP 30
Department: Maintenance Accountable to: Director
Purpose of the Post:
To be responsible to the Director.
To carry out general building maintenance of NORSACA properties.
Ensuring NORSACA properties are maintained to the highest standards in accordance to Health & Safety
regulations and organisation standards.
Managing day-to-day maintenance operations and ensure maintenance programmes are followed.
To supervise and assist a small team of handypersons’ in their roles.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Attend to the general repair and maintenance of NORSACA properties, i.e. general decorating, plumbing
repairs, window repairs, electrical faults, joinery and the like.
2. To supervise and assist the maintenance team to carry out major projects, e.g. room conversions, fitting
central heating systems, etc..
3. To liaise with suppliers and organize for delivery or collection of materials.
4. To provide schedules of work and keep records of work carried out as required.
5. Advise the Director of any major works beyond the scope of the post holder or maintenance team.
6. To address Health & Safety issues promptly.
7. To work harmoniously with other staff, giving assistance when required
8. To be responsible for the tidiness and tending of grounds. Maintain, in particular, driveways, paths,
borders and drains.
9. Interact and involve service users in assisting with tasks, treating them always with respect and dignity.
10. To behave in a trustworthy and responsible manner and not bring NORSACA into disrepute.
11. To carry out on-call duties and be available for contacting out-of-hours.
12. To assist in maintaining the physical plant, electrical and mechanical equipment, kitchen equipment,
controls, fire safety systems and the interior and exterior of NORSACA properties.
13. To help manage any contractors on site.
14. Ensuring compliance with all Health & Safety regulations.
15. To be a member of the Health & Safety Committee.
16. To be responsible for budget preparation / management.
17. Responsibility for statutory checks conformity, e.g. water, electric, gas.
18. Supervision of team 1:1 and appraisal.
19. Carry out risk assessment.
20. Liaison with property providers.
21. To carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities within the overall function commensurate
with the grading and level of responsibilities of the post.
NORSACA ADULT & YOUNG PEOPLE’S SERVICES
PERSON SPECIFICATION – Maintenance Manager
Personal Skills / Characteristics Assessment
1.1 Experienced tradesperson in maintenance areas, e.g. plumbing, electrical, AF / I /
joinery, building works and general building maintenance
1.2 Experience of supervising staff with hands-on management support AF / I /
1.3 Experience of working with people with learning disabilities or autism AF / I
1.4 Proven ability to liaise professionally AF / I
1.5 Experience of allocating work and rota management AF / I /
1.6 Experience of working within a multi-site environment AF / I
2. Qualifications and Training
2.1 Qualification in a major maintenance area, e.g. plumbing (GAS SAFE AF / CQ /
Registered) and / or electrics, building
2.2 Health & Safety qualification appropriate to the position AF / CQ
2.3 Management and / or supervisory qualification AF / CQ
2.4 Literacy and Numeracy Level 2 / GCSE English and Maths Grade C or above AF / I
3. Special Skills and Knowledge
3.1 Ability to: a) read, understand and write clear and accurate short reports, AF / I
b) communicate with others and form a positive relationship I
3.2 Knowledge of basic first aid AF / I
3.3 Understanding of autism AF / I
3.4 Knowledge of Health & Safety Legislation relating to the position AF / I
3.5 Possess a working knowledge of any of the following: general joiner, building AF / I
3.6 Computer literate and knowledge of Microsoft office programmes AF / I
3.7 Ability to implement policies and procedures whilst ensuring their compliance is AF / I
adhered to at all times
3.8 Be able to work with and help manage on-site contractors AF / I
3.9 Knowledge of statutory record keeping AF / I
3.10 Knowledge of statutory checks, e.g. gas safety, PAT, legionella, electrical, etc AF / I
4. Personal Qualities
4.1 Current full driving licence and access to a vehicle AF / CQ /
4.2 Demonstrate a commitment to undertake further training and continued AF / I
4.3 Ability to prioritise work, good organizational skills and work within a budget AF / I
4.4 Ability to work as a member of a team or on own initiative AF / I
4.5 Commitment to Equality & Diversity AF / I
4.6 Ability to work flexibly to meet demands of the service, e.g. weekend working AF / I
4.7 Maintain professional relationships at all times AF / I
4.8 Interest in working with people with autism spectrum condition AF / I
4.9 Ability to work in a busy environment, under pressure and to be results driven to AF / I
comply with the needs of the organisation
4.10 Able to work irregular hours at short notice AF / I
4.11 Ability to fulfill all aspects of job description AF / I
The postholder will be required to undergo and obtain a satisfactory Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau
Disability Discrimination Act 1995
The ways in which a disabled person meets the criteria for a post must be assessed as they would be after
any reasonable adjustments required had been made. If appropriate, disabled candidates should indicate on
the application form if they have needs which should be considered at the short listing stage.
The panel will short list against the criteria marked , therefore you must ensure these areas have been
demonstrated on the application form. It is not sufficient to state, for example, “I have knowledge of domestic
skills”. CV’s may be included as supplementary information, however short listing will solely be made against
the completed application form only.
SHORT LISTING PANEL:
KEY: AF = Application Form CQ = Certificate of Qualification I = Interview
Short listing Criteria
1. 2. 3.
Interview Offered: YES NO