Attribution born YK living YK by 5Imeg9K


									                                                                                         2 Bloor Street West, Suite 2006, Box 88
            Consulate of Belgium                                                                      Toronto, Ontario, M4W 3E2
                                                                                                      Phone: 001-416-944-1422
            in Toronto
                                                                                                          Fax: 001-416-944-1421

                                   ATTRIBUTION OF BELGIAN CITIZENSHIP

   If you are a Belgian citizen born outside of Belgium and have a child also born abroad, you
   can pass your Belgian citizenship on to that child by signing a declaration of attribution of
   Belgian citizenship before his/her 5th birthday (art. 8, §1, 2°b CNB/WNB).


                                                Please read carefully !

1. The original of your child’s recent framing (large) Birth Certificate, issued less than 6 months
   ago, showing the names of the parents (for more information, please visit the Yukon Vital
   Statistics1’ website:

2. This new certificate of birth should be bilingual, French and English. If it is not, you will have to
   provide us with a translation of that recent Birth Certificate, in French, Dutch or German. This
   translation must be notarized by a Notary Public and then authenticated by Foreign Affairs and
   International Trade Canada2.

   If you cannot come in person to the Consulate of Belgium in Toronto to sign the declaration of
   attribution, you can name a representative in a Power of Attorney issued by a Notary Public or
   a Lawyer and authenticated by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada2. If in English, the
   power of Attorney must be translated (see point 2 above for requirements). You will find in
   attachment a sample of Power of Attorney in French.


   The steps of the procedure of retention are as follows:

   1. Once gathered, please mail us the paperwork by registered mail, with a photocopy of your
      driver’s license showing your current address, and a cheque or money order of 70.00
      CAD for the consular fees (those fees are subject to change);

   2. We submit your complete file to the approval of the Belgian Ministry of Foreign affairs;

   3. Upon approval, we contact you or your representative to make an appointment with the
      Consul in order to sign the declaration of attribution in person, before your child’s 5th birthday
      and before the end of the validity of 6 months of your documents.

       If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.

   1 Yukon Vital Statistics: 4th Floor – 204 Lambert Street, Whitehorse, YK Y1A 3T2, phone: 1-867-667-
   5207 – website:
     Foreign Affairs and Trade Canada: Authentication and Service of Documents Section (JLAC) - Foreign
   Affairs and International Trade Canada, 125 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G2 - Phone: 1-800-267-
   8376 (service free of charge) – website:

           Your contact person : Sophie Lecomte
           Phone: +1 (416) 944-1422 – fax: +1 (416) 944-1421 – e-Mail:

To top