Language Arts: Monday 10/15
I.N. page 47
• Go to your Language Arts Folder and take
all of your papers out of it. Tape your
Graded Personal Narrative to I.N. page
46. Add it to your Table of Contents.
• Make a list of at least 5 things you think
every newspaper article should have.
• What is the purpose of a newspaper
article? (write a paragraph)
(take notes on I.N. page 47)
“Let Me Explain”
What is expository writing?
*Expository writing explains
or gives information about
What does “expository” mean?
• *“Expository” means “to explain.”
• *Expository writing explains ideas so that readers
can understand them.
What are some *examples of
• *reports and essays
• *newspaper and magazine articles
• *instructions and “how-to” essays
What is an *expository essay?
• *a multi-paragraph piece of writing
• *gives information or explains how to do something
• *has steps put in the right order
What are the *parts of an expository essay?
• *beginning - names the topic
• *middle - explains the steps in the process
• *end - gives final thoughts
What are *time order words?
• *They help writers show when something happens.
• *They help the reader follow the steps.
• *Some examples include: first, second, next, then, after
that, and finally.
Invitation to Read
• Read the following expository essay.
• See if you can follow the steps in the process.
• Can you find all the time order words?
How to Find the Cafeteria
It is easy to get from the front doors of the school to
the lunchroom. First, you go down the main hallway.
Then, you turn left at the library. Walk past the
auditorium and turn right. There are double doors at the
end of this hallway. Walk through and you’ve found the
Do you remember learning the
The Reporter’s Formula
• Good reporters ask questions.
• Good writers anticipate and answer the
• Expository texts answers the five W’s.
The Reporter’s Formula (Five W’s)
Big Dig Tunnel Trouble Continues
Governor Mitt Romney of
Massachusetts ordered the closure of the
eastbound lanes of the Ted Williams
tunnel on Thursday after inspections
revealed that ceiling bolts designed to hold
the 12-ton cement ceiling tiles had slipped.
Governor Mitt Romney
ordered the closure of the eastbound lanes
The eastbound lanes of the Ted Williams
inspections revealed that ceiling bolts
designed to hold the 12-ton cement ceiling
tiles had slipped.
Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts
ordered the closure of the eastbound
lanes of the Ted Williams tunnel on
Thursday after inspections revealed that
ceiling bolts designed to hold the 12-ton
cement ceiling tiles had slipped.
Let’s Practice: Write out the 5 W’s with
space in between.
Homework: Find a newspaper article;
Answers the Five W’s
1. Find an article from a newspaper. Cut it out.
(It can be from an online newspaper source,
but you must print it)
2. Read the article, and write the answer to each
of the five W’s on I.N. page 48.
3. Tape the article on top of your answers on I.N.