ANIMAL FARM - FORMATIVE ASSESSMENT:
The Russian Revolution
In order to develop your skills for upcoming assignments, you will do research, assess the online
study guides and create a works cited page about the Russian Revolution. You will type into this
document and submit the document to turnitin.com. Everything must be in your own words, so no
copy and pasting. If the software detects plagiarism, you will be given a zero for the assignment.
Online Study Guides: Keep in mind that not all sources and guides are created equal!
Source 1 : Cliffnotes Animal Farm
Source 2 : SparkNotes Animal Farm
Source 3: SparkNotes The Russian Revolution
Source 4:BBC Schools Guide to Russian History 1905-1941
Source 5: History Guide: Lecture 5 - The Russian Revolution
Source 6: Russian Revolution in dates
Source 7: Stalins Secret Army
Citations for each source you used: Basic Style for Citations of Electronic Sources
(Including Online Databases)
Here are some common features you should try and find before citing electronic sources in
MLA style. Not every Web page will provide all of the following information. However, collect
as much of the following information as possible both for your citations and for your
• Author and/or editor names (if available)
• Article name in quotation marks (if applicable)
• Title of the Website, project, or book in italics. (Remember that some Print publications have Web publications
with slightly different names. They may, for example, include the additional information or otherwise modified
information, like domain names [e.g. .com or .net].)
• Any version numbers available, including revisions, posting dates, volumes, or issue numbers.
• Publisher information, including the publisher name and publishing date.
• Take note of any page numbers (if available).
• Medium of publication.
• Date you accessed the material.
STEP 1: Do research on each of the following topics and record your sources.
IMPORTANT PEOPLE AND GROUPS
Czar Nicholas II
KGB (Stalin’s Army)
IMPORTANT EVENTS AND IDEAS
October Revolution (1917)
The Five Year Plan
The Great Purge
The Tehran Conference
STEP 2: Examine and assess your web sources.
1. Reliability: Reliable sources
- have good ‘provenance’ (author is identified and qualified)
- are current and up-to-date
- are unbiased (do not strongly ‘sell’ a particular point of view)
Which of your sources is most reliable and why?
2. Media Presentation - Choose a study guide you liked and answer these questions:
a) What was your overall impression of this guide?
b) How was this guide organized?
c) What visual and textual features made this guide attractive and well-
d) What features made this guide educational and helpful?
e) Most websites exist to make profit. How does this site make money? If it
isn’t profit-driven, who created it and what are they trying to ‘sell’ instead?
Please create a new page at the end of this document as a works cited page. Every source
you used to find information should be listed on your works cited. (just hit enter after this)