The Holy Spirit
God’s Characteristics and
• Must be approached with awe,
reverence, and praise.
– Psalm 148
– “Do not be rash with your mouth, and let
not your heart utter anything hastily before
God. For God is in heaven, and you on
earth; therefore let your words be few.”
• “…the being perfect in power, wisdom
and goodness; whom men worship as
Creator and ruler of the universe.”
(Webster’s New Collegiate Dict. 1973)
• “Divinity, Deity…to denote the Divine
nature, power, providence of one, true
God…” (Thayer’s Greek Lexicon)
• The usual Greek word for God, as the
only true God (Thayer), is equivalent to
the Hebrew word ELOHIM (indicating
His power and preeminence). It is
translated God in Genesis 1:1; 2:3;
Jehovah (indicating His uncreated,
immutable, eternal, and self-sustained
existence); translated Lord in Genesis
2:4.” (Vine’s Dictionary of NT Words)
• God as Supreme; only Divine Being;
but they do not distinguish among the
different personalities of the Godhead.
The Old Testament rarely does.
– Exodus 20:2,3
– Deuteronomy 6:4,5
– Matthew 22:32
Names, Designations and
• I AM (Exodus 3:14)
• The Almighty (Genesis 17:1)
• Godhead (Colossians 2:9)
• Divine Nature (Acts 17:29)
• He is self-existent, eternal, immutable.
• He has universal presence, infinite
knowledge, wisdom, and power.
• He is perfectly holy, loving, and good.
• He has perfect hate and severity,
infinite authority, and dominion.
• Only God has such attributes; the
Holy Spirit shares all of these traits!
God Is Self-Existent
• The uncreated Creator of the universe
– Psalm 14:1; 2 Peter 3:5
• The workings of God’s material
creation testify to His existence
– Acts 17:24-29; Romans 1:20
• Divine revelation—the Bible—testifies
of His existence, purposes, and will
– Psalm 19:7-11
The Bible Reflects God’s Nature
• Perfect—perfect unity, internal consistency,
– Isaiah 40:22
• Prophetic—the only prophetically accurate
book ever written. It is 100% correct.
– Isaiah 53
• Preserved—by God’s divine promise and
– 1 Peter 1:24,25
God Is Eternal
• He existed before creation; creation
had a beginning.
– Psalm 90:1-4
• From eternity to eternity
– Ecclesiastes 7:12
• Greatness of His power
– Isaiah 40:12-17
• He has power to perform every work
according to His purpose
– Matthew 19:26
God Is Perfect in Holiness
• God is holy, set apart from, and above
sin. Cannot tolerate wickedness or evil.
– Habakkuk 1:13; James 1:13; 1 John 1:5
• Can man claim to have this same type
of holiness? Never!
– Romans 3:9,23; 1 John 1:8
God Is Perfect in
Love and Goodness
• God is love, goodness, mercy, grace,
and kindness. Perfect love.
– 1 John 4:8
• God manifests His love through both
physical and spiritual blessings.
– Psalm 63:1-4; Matthew 5:45; Romans 2:4
• This quality of perfect love belongs
ONLY to God!
God Is Perfect in
Hate and Severity
• God hates—with perfect hatred—all sin,
wickedness, and wrongdoing.
– Romans 11:22; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9
• Man is sometimes tempted to believe
that God is soft, compromising,
forgetful, indifferent to, and tolerant of
– Psalm 119:104
• Man’s hatred for sin is imperfect
God Has Infinite Authority and
• God’s authority, dominion, and rule
encompass the universe. No one is
exempt from His sovereignty.
– Psalm 103:19-22
• There is none like Him.
– Isaiah 46:9
• God has no origin. His inherent, eternal
nature is characteristic only of Himself.
God Is Immutable
• God’s immutable nature stands in stark
contrast to the temporary, passing
nature of His creation.
– Psalm 102:24-28
• He endures; man dies.
– Psalm 90:3; Hebrews 9:27
• He remains the same. His essence is
unchanging! Constant and unvarying.
– James 1:17; Hebrews 6:18
God Has Universal Presence
• The Lord’s eyes are everywhere.
Nothing—not even the smallest detail
or thought—evades Him!
– Proverbs 15:3; Hebrews 4:13
• He is omnipresent—He dwells in
heaven, and His knowledge and power
extend through the universe!
– Acts 17:24,25
• His only quality!
– 1 Peter 1:12
God Has Infinite Wisdom
• God knows all things. He is the
source of all wisdom!
– Psalm 147:4,5; Romans 11:33-36
• Man can know only what God chose to
reveal to Him!
– 1 Corinthians 2:9-13
• God is an expert in all subjects! He
knows all the answers!
– Job 38:1-3
God Has Infinite Power
• He spoke the world into existence and
sustained it by that same word!
– John 1:3; Colossians 1:17
• No power known to, or created by, man
can equal God’s power!
– Romans 8:31
• These qualities • When the Bible
belong to the only refers to the Holy
true God—the Spirit as God, it
Supreme Divine means He is Deity;
Being—Deity! He shares all of
Deity's traits. He
deserves of the
same respect and