"OHS Community Council"
OHS Community Council November 17, 2011 4:00pm Attending: Julie Johnson, Noel Zabriskie, Durrell Annis, Stacy Briggs, Donna Corby, Maureen Kopecky, Ben Johnson, Mat Trotter, Camille Halverson, Lori East, Heather Gerrard, James Cook 1. Rules and Open Meeting Law- The agenda must be publicized, we can discuss an item but it can not be boted upon or action taken if it is not on the agenda. Se can sut off recorder, end meeting and discuss items as not official meeting business- as per Donna Corby. The tape recorder will be here for the next meeting. 2. After school tutoring- it is up and running, it has been increased to 5 days a week, each day until 4:00, on Fridays 1:30-3:00. Students can earn attendance credit, teachers and college students are tutoring. We are paying for teachers only, but they are not there on fri- only college students (they are paid by a grant-student to student) 3. Carry over amount- this amount should be less that $1,000; we can put in an amendment that we need a big carry over until construction is finished. Stacy is working the wireless equipment, and technical support. We have 25 wireless routers, we could use 25 more. They could be up and running by the end of the school year. We need these when construction is finished for the wireless equipment that will come. 4. Math common core 2- starting next year, implemented by the state. Textbooks are not provided. We could use money to buy some? Books run about $75-100. We can put money there but not actually purchase the books yet. 5. Professional Development- To help teachers with skills to be better teachers, and help them to teach at all levels. 6. Library would like $1,400 for subscriptions to online access to research, IPADs, kindles, money for software, applications for IPAD to help with ESL. Can we give more money here? These applications can be accessed from school or home. 7. Technology- mimio tablets, IPAD, ore technology for teachers, portable computer lab, IPAD labs? Not all textbooks are digital yet. Greg Lewis can help with this area- What technology is available and what would be best for our needs.. 8. Meeting guidelines- Noel asked if we would put out information of how the meeting is supposed to be handled: How are things supposed to be brought up, what happens after that, how to clarify questions, etc. Ben responded to how meetings have run in the past: Ben is notified of the agenda items, he will tell Stacey, there is an other category added at the end for other discussion. Motions are given and items approved. We will have printed rules for everyone to have- Noel will work with Julie Johnson on this. 9. Elections are now held in the Fall 10. Next year, can the summary report be sent home with grades so parents will receive a copy instead of sending home with student? 11. Stacey proposes a new teacher that can help with technology, software, hardware, and professional training. Can we train students that would help with this also? 12. IPAD concern- we may need to hold off until the district puts together a policy concerning IPADs before we buy some for the school. We have a barrier in the school, but not when they leave the building. 13. School improvement grant will cover more FTE- not technology. We have to spend it before Sept. Maybe extra staff in Math to help? 14. phone message should be sent out about the ACT prep class. Over 40 kids signed up for class, 22 actually came. 15. Spending carryover money- We can put it in general “buckets” . We have $44,000. ACT prep class cost could come out of this. 16. Everyone needs to send Stacey ideas for spending by email. We will meet Dec 1 at 4:00 to finalize and sign plan. Stacey will post meeting.