THE SURGEON SCIENTIST AWARD
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These terms and conditions apply to all awards given by the Circulation Foundation, whose
registered office is 35-43 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PE and whose Registered Charity
Number is 1102769, and will apply to and be deemed to form part of any agreement under which
the Circulation Foundation provides funding to any third party for the carrying out of any research
or other work.
The Surgeon Scientist Award is subject to the following:
1. Acknowledgement of Circulation Foundation support must be made in all publications and papers
or posters resulting from work concerned. We expect your research to be published in a peer-
reviewed publication. You should also provide a full list of publications arising from the grant with
copies of all publications.
2. An awardee of any grant made by the Circulation Foundation will be expected to produce a poster
of their findings to be presented at the Vascular Society Annual General Meeting. You must also
provide a brief progress and lay report (not more than one side of A4) for the Foundation to
publish and to assist in applications to grant making trusts and foundations.
3. Agreement to all appropriate publicity. You will be expected to attend a Circulation Foundation
Research Award Reception to help publicise the awards.
4. Preparation of a progress report, and agreement to any visit by the Medical Director, member of
the Scientific Advisory Panel, Board of Trustees or other nominated representative. Quarterly
reports should be sent to the Foundation, and a full detailed report should be submitted at the
end of the project.
5. The award will be paid in quarterly installments upon receipt of satisfactory reports.
6. Local research ethics committee approval should be obtained for the project.
7. If the research project involves animal experimentation, the award will only be made subject to
the granting of appropriate licences under the terms of the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act
1986, authorising the proposed experiments.
8. The Circulation Foundation as a member of the AMRC adopts their position statement, as revised in
October 2004, that “it is clear with regard to university funding, that its members will not fund
research on a percentage basis. AMRC member charities will continue to pay for the directly
incurred and identifiable costs of research, but do not consider it appropriate for them to fund
university indirect costs or to be required to cover some of the other costs, such as investigators
salaries or estate costs, indentified under the TRAC”.
The costs of staff, such as research assistants and technicians, working full or part-time on a
project, and the cost of identified items needed for the carrying out of research such as laboratory
or clinical consumables, field work costs, capital and equipment costs are covered by and classified
as directly incurred costs.
The Circulation Foundation will not pay indirect costs, eg: advertising for posts, secretarial work,
stationary or contribution to general departmental overheads.
Please ensure that costs are calculated accurately as supplementary grants are not available.
All expenditure under this grant should be governed by the normal standard and procedures of the
9. NHS and/or University agreement for infrastructure support. Confirmation that the employing
authority agrees to undertake the financial management and supervision of the research.
Confirmation of which Institution will be administering the grant.
10. Proposed starting date of the project and duration. Please note that it may be possible to apply for
an extension of the award duration. This will be classified as a “non-cost” extension and should be
applied for in writing with a detailed report of findings so far and reason for extension. This will
then be taken into consideration by the research committee.
11. Grants will only be made to individuals and research teams. Grants will not be awarded to other
charities or institutions. Grant recipients must work within the United Kingdom or Ireland.
12. When the Circulation Foundation makes a grant, they reserve the right, without notice, to
terminate it should they so wish. In such a case, the Foundation will reimburse the host institution
for expenditure properly incurred under the award up to the termination date, but it will not in any
event be responsible for, nor indemnify, the host institution against any matters arising from the
employment of staff.
Please confirm your agreement to these conditions by signing and returning this sheet. Strict
compliance with these T&C's is required and failure to do so will jeopardise any future applications to
I hereby agree to abide by the above conditions
Signed ………………………………………………….. Date …………………………
Print Name: …………………………………………………………………………………….