Position: Medical Secretary
Location: PH 14-104 FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Admin/ Management Level
Medical Secretary will be responsible for the day-to day operations of a high volume
Lung Transplantation Center.
1. Reports to the Divisional Administrator and Practice Manager in the Division of
Pulmonary, Allergy & Critical Care Medicine
2. Answer telephone, take and relay messages to appropriate staff and/or routes calls
3. Respond to basic inquiries regarding the program.
4. Schedule clinical testing for patients and communicate all pertinent information
related to the testing to the patient.
5. Schedule office appointments for new and established patients.
6. Obtain third-party insurance carrier pre-certification and / or pre-authorization for all
patient testing as required.
7. Maintain accurate recording of all patient contact in CROWN.
8. Types a variety of routine material such as correspondence, which may be of a
complex and/or confidential nature.
9. May attend meetings and record minutes.
10. Perform other job-related duties as required.
11. Conforms to all applicable HIPAA, Billing compliance and safety guidelines.
12. Ensures service excellence by becoming thoroughly familiar with the “Seven
Principles of Behavior” and putting them into practice in carrying out job
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree or the equivalent in education, training and
experience in a clinical practice.
Minimum Experience: Knowledge of IDX billing and scheduling systems preferred.
Knowledge of Medical terminology. 2-3 years of related
Physical Requirements: Must have excellent customer service skills in a high-pressure
environment. Must be able to interact with all levels of staff
and must have an understanding of patients confidentiality.
Bilingual with Spanish is an added plus.
Employee Signature Date