The Sorting Office – Application Form
The Sorting Office is located in Eastleigh and will become a base for some of
Hampshire’s most innovative artists and creative industries. The Sorting Office is
one of the project platforms managed by ‘a space arts’ along with The Arches
Studios, Bargate Monument Gallery, ArtVaults and Tower House.
The Sorting Office is part of a creative network in Eastleigh which includes Eastleigh
Business Centre which is located at Wessex House and also The Point which is
home to an innovative Associate Artist Scheme, The West Wing Studios and the
award-winning Creation Space.
To apply you will need the following information:
1. A current CV including relevant achievements and career highlights.
2. A covering letter stating how you match the Criteria (see below).
3. A completed Application Form (see below).
4. Examples of your recent work either on a disk or via a link to an up to date
website. Do not send actual examples of your work.
N.B. If you wish to have your disk returned please enclose a SAE.
Please send your application to Paul Spencer at Eastleigh Borough Council either by
email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to the following address:
Eastleigh Borough Council
Please be aware that we may receive more applications than the amount of studio
spaces available creating a competitive process. If your application is successful and
The Sorting Office is already full you will be offered a place on a waiting list. If you
are successful and there is an appropriate space available you will be asked to
attend an informal interview.
We will review all studio residents every six months to track progress and monitor
engagement; a process that can create spaces and opportunities for new residents to
join. We will contact everyone on the waiting list every six months to update them and
enquire as to whether they wish to remain on the list.
N.B. Please be aware that The Sorting Office supports career artists and creative
industries and not individuals looking to further a hobby. We appreciate that creative
pastimes are an important aspect to the wellbeing of many people, however through
the application form you will need to demonstrate how a studio space can support
your creative career.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate:
1. A commitment to developing your practice within your defined creative field.
2. A vision for developing your practice and building your creative career.
3. How a studio space at The Sorting Office will benefit your development.
4. A willingness to make a positive contribution to The Sorting Office project and
engage with the creative community.
(the form will expand as you type into it)
1. What type of work do you do? Please give a short introduction to your practice.
2. Why do you require a studio space at this point in your career?
3. What would a studio space allow you to accomplish that you cannot currently
4. How would you contribute to the creative community at The Sorting Office?
5. Do you have any specific requirements? (e.g. access, dimensions, phase 3
6. Please give details of your forthcoming projects. These could be related to
developing either your personal practice or your wider portfolio career (e.g.
outreach, education, community work or exhibitions and events).
7. Please provide any extra relevant information that you feel will support your
The Sorting Office should ideally be utilised by artists who live in the S.O. postcode
area. If you live outside this area please tell us: Why a studio space in Eastleigh will
benefit your creative practice, how often you realistically intend to use the studio
space and how you will make your journey to The Sorting Office.