GEOSCIENCE .3 STANDARDS AND EXPECTATIONS - Ms. Johnston
Webpage – under MPS staff email - firstname.lastname@example.org voice mail /homework hotline- 923-3424
BASIC STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOR
1. Your main reason in being here is to LEARN. No horseplay is allowed; honesty, appropriate language, and
respect is expected at all times.
2. This classroom follows all school policies.
3. Keep the classroom CLEAN. No eating, drinking, writing on desks! Take good care of your books.
4. Cheating in any form is not acceptable. All offenses - 0 credit. Parent notification and/or MHS administrative
contact dependent upon offense.
TARDIES & ABSENCES
1. TARDIES - The first 2 tardies of each SEMESTER is free, each after a 2 point reduction in your participation grade.
2. ABSENCES - HAVE YOUR PARENT CALL THE OFFICE TO EXCUSE AN ABSENCE THAT DAY! MISSED LABS
AND ACTIVITIES, AND TESTS MUST BE MADE-UP QUICKLY, GENERALLY WITHIN 48 HOURS!
3. UNEXCUSED ABSENCES - Any unexcused absence is 10 pts. from your participation grade. NO MAKE-UP WORK!
SYLLABUS & REQUIRED MATERIAL
1. GEOSCIENCE .3 covers a variety of topics : maps, chemistry, minerals and rocks, earth’s formation, earth’s history,
oceanography, atmosphere, and space. It is a college preparatory course and is conducted as such.
2. Bring all materials everyday! Text, pen/pencil, notebook and folder,and calculator. THIS IS REQUIRED!
3. You will be graded periodically on your notebooks and notes, so keep all notes, handouts, labs, quizzes, etc.,
and ORGANIZE them in chapters and in units! You will also need them to study for exams, and they are great way
to get points! You need to do the following:
a) 2 inch ring binder notebook
b) organize with dividers as follows: Grade sheet, this sheet, other general rules, then divided into
chapter units with all notes, ws, labs, quizzes in basic order.
4. Only 1 piece of late work is allowed per each six weeks, each to be graded down one grade and must be
turned in before 1 week past the due date. If turned in after papers were graded, the maximum grade is C.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask questions - that’s one of the best ways to learn.
6. My working hours are from 7:25 to 3:25 with my conference hour 1st & 7th hour each day. Any make-up lab time
should be arranged with me ASAP as should be help time. Missed tests, quizzes, and labs can be made up
before school, during lunch or study hall, or after school. Appointments must be made for these! 2nd lunch
is my lunch but makeups can be done then.
1. GRADES: Grades will be determined on a WEIGHTED point value system from which percentages are calculated.
a) TESTS -35% QUIZZES - 20% HOMEWORK - 15% LABS - 20% PARTICIPATION -10%
b) Quizzes will cover the material from labs, activities, homework and may or may not be open note. Organized
notebooks will aid in timed quizzes. Tests will NOT BE OPEN NOTE.
c) Participation - 10% based on being on time, no late work, cooperation, and ACTIVE PARTICIPATION in all
d) Notebooks will be checked approximately every 6 weeks, including a quiz, and will count as a test grade.
e) SEMESTER GRADES ARE 25% EACH 6-WEEK GRADE AND 25% SEMESTER EXAM.
2. GRADING SCALE:
A 94 -100% A- 90-93% B+ 88-89%
B 84 - 87% B- 80 -83% C+ 78-79%
C 74 -77% C- 70-73% D+ 68-69%
D 64-67% D- 60-63% E below 60%
3. All homework to be turned in MUST BE IN DARK PENCIL OR PEN!
4. Although this is not an English class all papers will be expected to have the following: COMPLETE SENTENCES,
CORRECT GRAMMAR, CORRECT SPELLING, and LEGIBLE!
* Any work turned in without regard to these expectations will be returned and not graded.
Try - make an effort, get help, help others, spend extra time - and you will succeed!
STUDENTS & PARENTS - Please sign below to indicate you have read and understand the requirements for
STUDENT: __________________________ PARENT: _______________________________