UNITED NATIONS CHILDREN'S FUND
Bangladesh COUNTRY OFFICE
VACANCY NOTICE NO.017/2011
POST TITLE : Education Officer; POST LEVEL: NO-B DATE ISSUED : 23 December, 2011; CLOSING DATE: 8 January, 2012
DUTY STATION: Chittagong; 1 Post. CONTRACTUAL STATUS: Fixed-Term (FT);
Purpose of the post:
Accountable for professional technical contribution to education programmes project design, planning, administration and monitoring, data analysis and
progress reporting, especially for the Districts and the Municipal areas under the assigned Field Office. Commitment for enhancement of gender-sensitive
teamwork and capacity building of implementing partners, in support of achievement of planned objectives of the work plan, aligned with country
programme goals and strategy.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Programme/Project Management: For the assigned Districts and Municipal areas, ensure the availability of accurate, complete and up-to-date
information required for effective Education programme and project design including injury prevention, implementation, management,
monitoring and gender disaggregation. Draft sound Education Workplan and budgets for the assigned districts for review by the supervisor.
2. Project Efficiency and Effectiveness: Enhance project efficiency and effectiveness through implementation follow-on, including monitoring
UNICEF and overall PEDPIII inputs, local conditions and resources, flow of supply and non-supply assistance and Education project status.
3. Work Plan and Project Documentation: Analyze collected data and information and prepare progress reports including monitoring and
reporting indicators by gender; draft changes in Education project work plans and assist in identification of required supplies and equipment as
well as in the drafting of Country Programme Recommendation and other project documentation, assuring accuracy and consistency with
established rules, regulations and plans of action.
4. Project Implementation Information and Data : Ensure the appropriateness of financial, administrative and supply documentation; verify that
Education project expenditures are within allotments and that data is consistent with the project information and database (e.g., FLS, ProMS).
Follow up on queries or initiate corrective action on discrepancies.
5. Knowledge Sharing: Compile evidences of success and constrains in the implementation of PEDPIII and other UNICEF supported projects, to
promote knowledge sharing with UNICEF, donors and media.
6. Communication and Networking: Ensure the effective communication and networking developed and maintained through partnership and
• Collaborate with Field Office, Operations Office and Education Section staff to implement internal controls systems and resolve day-to-day issues
or discrepancies in financial or supply management.
• Team with local Government counterparts to exchange information on PEDPIII and other UNICEF supported Education project
implementation and status as well as movement and distribution of supplies.
• At the district and Municipal levels, supports coordination with members of the development community, including NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies
in the exchange of information relating to Education sector. Collaborate with other sectoral specialist and generalists assigned to the Field Office to
promote programmatic convergence.
7. Coordination: Coordinate with the Chief of Field Office to ensure team work and efficient administrative and logistical management.
Minimum Requirements: Education : University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Education; Education Planning,
Education Management, Primary Education, Non-formal Education or a field(s) relevant to Social Development. A degree or training in pedagogy will be
Experience: Two years of professional work experience in managing education programme at national and sub-national level. Experience of
working in a Sector Wide Approach with the UN or other international development organization an asset. Background in Emergency programme
and Participatory Planning an asset.
Language Proficiency : Fluency in English and Bangla.
Core Competencies Functional Competencies
• Communication • Formulating Strategies and Concepts
• Working with People • Analyzing
• Drive for Results • Applying Technical Expertise
• Learning and Researching
• Planning and Organizing
Submissions: Applications must be submitted before the closing date to the Chief, Human Resources Section, UNICEF Bangladesh, BSL Office
Complex, Shahbagh, 1 Minto Road, Dhaka. Applicants must include a completed UN Personal History Form(P-11, available in the UNICEF local
website: www.unicef.org.bd) and copies of your two most recent Performance Evaluation Report(PERs).
Please indicate your desired place of posting by order of preference.
Distribution: Newspaper, All UN agencies and Internal
UNICEF is a smoke-free environment
Applications from qualified women are encouraged