Name: ________________________________ 6.) Mohandas Gandhi is most closely associated
1.) One way in which Jose de San Martin,
Camillo Cavour, and Jomo Kenyatta are a) support of violence and terrorism to end
similar is that each leader British rule
b) desire to strengthen the caste system
1.) made significant scientific discoveries c) use of civil disobedience to gain political
2.) lead national movements freedom
3.) fought against British imperialism d) establishment of a national religion in India
4.) became a communist revolutionary
7.) One similarity in the unification of Italy, the
2.) Since 1948, a major reason for the conflict Zionist movement, and the breakup of the
between Arabs and Israelis is that each side Ottoman Empire was that each was influenced
a) wants the huge oil reserves that lie under the
disputed land a) humanism
b.) believes that the United States favors the b) polytheism
other side in the conflict c) nationalism
c.) claims control over the same land due to d) imperialism
religious and historical meaning.
d.) seeks to control trade on the eastern end of 8.) The best example of the success of nationalism
the Mediterranean Sea in Europe is the
3.) Which individual is associated with the 1. development of socialism in France
phrase blood and iron as related to the 2. Industrial Revolution in Great Britain
unification of Germany 3. establishment of the Common Market
4. unification of Germany
a.) Otto von Bismarck
b.) Giuseppe Garibaldi 9.) “To him who wishes to follow me, I offer
c.) Kaiser Wilhelm II hardships, hunger, thirst and all the perils of
d.) Camillo di Cavour war”
4.) One political objective of both Otto von This quotation from Garibaldi’s is most closely
Bismarck and Giuseppe Garibaldi was to associated with Italian
a) overthrow divine right monarchies b) nationalism
b) unify their nations c) imperialism
c) establish communist systems d) neutrality
d) form an alliance with Great Britain
10.) “I will never allow my hands to be idle nor my
5.) Nationalism is best defined as soul to rest until I have broken the chains laid upon
us by Spain.”
a) The achievement of world peace and global
understanding. This statement was most likely made by
b) The desire to take over other territories by
force. 1. a Latin American nationalist
c) A method of solving economic issues within 2. a Portuguese explorer
a society. 3. a Roman Catholic bishop
d) The loyalty of the people to their values, 4. a Spanish conquistador
traditions, and geographic region.
Realpolitik Prince Metternich
Giuseppe Garibaldi Zionism
Theodor Hertzl Civil Disobedience
Congress of Vienna Toussaint L’Ouverture
Blood and Iron Mohandas Gandhi
Part B. Fill Ins – Mark all answers for the questions below on the Answer Key Provided.
11. __________________ was the meeting of European political leaders to reestablish former territorial borders
after the end of the Napoleonic Wars and the fall of Napoleon.
12. __________________ Jewish nationalist movement to establish a homeland in Palestine. This movement
began in the late 1800s, as anti-Semitic feelings intensified in Europe.
13. __________________ A policy by Otto von Bizmarck which stressed actions over politics, speeches, and
14. __________________ Peacefully and legally demonstrating against an unjust laws or actions. (example:
Home Spun Movement, Salt March)
15. __________________ Nationalistic leader of Haiti who liberated Haiti from France in 1815.
16. __________________ policy of Prussian chancellor Otto von Bismarck to unify all of Germany under
Prussian control and build and expand it into a great empire.
17. __________________ Leader of the Indian movement to liberate India from British control through non-
18. __________________ Military leader whose Red Shirt army liberated most of southern Italy, before
conquering the northern section. He was instrumental in the unification of Italy. Known as the “Sword” of the
19. __________________ Chancellor of the Astro-Hungarian Empire between 1821 and 1848. He was the most
powerful political figure in Europe between 1814 and 1848, and represented Austria at the Congress of Vienna.
20. __________________ Leader of Zionist movement to establish a Jewish homeland in Palestine.