Daniella, Emily R.,
Patrick, and Nick
Dates and Places of Existence
• Neanderthals lived from 100,000 years
ago to 40,000 years ago.
• Africa, Europe, and Asia is where the
Neanderthals are believed to have lived.
• They lived during a period of the Ice Age.
• Neanderthals were short and stocky
with large muscles.
• They had bowed legs and poor
• They had lower, flatter heads with a
• Neanderthals had practically no
chin, but they did have big cheeks
and squared eyebrows.
• Neanderthals made better shelters than
did Homo Erectus.
• They used mammoth hides, bones, and
tusks to make their shelters.
• This protected the hut from winds.
• In addition to animal skin huts.
Neanderthals also sometimes lived in
• Neanderthals killed woolly mammoths and other
large animals for food.
• Women gathered food, such as nuts, roots, and
berries, while the men hunted.
• Neanderthals ate their food right after they killed
it because they had no way to store it.
• Neanderthals had limited hunting areas so they
used resources around them.
• Neanderthals were hunters and gatherers.
• They waited for their prey to be in their
area and then hunted it.
• Neanderthals lived in huts and caves and
stayed in one main area.
• They built special tools and shelters to
help them survive in the cold weather.
• Neanderthals had a lot of different tools
and weapons for different tasks.
• For example, they made special tools to
scrape animal hides.
• They also made tools to tie skins together
and to make holes in the animal skins.
• Neanderthals did have fire, which they
used to provide warmth and light and to
scare off animals.
• They also used fire to make pots and to
roast their meat.
• They made fire from nearby wood and
trees from the ground.
Religion and Ceremonies
• Neanderthals were the first group of Early
Humans to have some believe of death.
• They were the first to believe in an
• They had some form of religion and
celebrated some ceremonies surrounding
death and life after death.
• They were the first to make clothing, rather
than just draping animal skins around
themselves for warmth.
• They used animal skins and fur for their
• Neanderthals brain capacity and size was
the same as that of modern humans.
• The position of their larynx (voice box)
limited their ability to speak and their
• As a result, they spoke very few words
because they didn’t have the physical
ability to create the words.
Painting and Carving
• They made pots with clay and hardened
them with the use of fire.
• Neanderthals did some carvings on bark