Klossner & Hatfield 2e
Chapter 36, The Child With a Respiratory Disorder
Written Assignments Learning Objective(s)
1. Write a paragraph reviewing the normal anatomy and 1
physiology of the respiratory system including the structures
involved. Write a second paragraph describing how the
infant respiratory system differs from that of adults.
2. Write an essay relating clinical manifestations to the 10, 11
pathophysiology of cystic fibrosis. Include the diagnostic
procedures and the most common complication of cystic
3. List and briefly describe dietary and pulmonary treatment 10, 11
of cystic fibrosis.
Group Assignments Learning Objective(s)
1. Divide into four groups. Each group should create a poster 2, 3, 9, 12
discussing one of the following: acute nasopharyngitis,
Allergic Rhinitis, pneumonia, tuberculosis. Incorporate
clinical manifestations, diagnosis, nursing interventions, and
treatment. Present the posters at a health seminar.
2. Attend a guest lecture by a pediatrician discussing 6
respiratory disorders seen in toddlers. Get together with
several classmates and together made a chart describing and
comparing spasmodic laryngitis, laryngotracheobronchitis,
and epiglottitis, including the treatment for each. Present your
paper to the rest of the class.
Clinical Assignments Learning Objective(s)
1. Complete a nursing care plan on an assigned patient 4, 5
undergoing a tonsillectomy.
2. Given a template, complete a disease map on asthma based 8
on an assigned patient. Include triggers, assessment, signs and
symptoms, triggers, nursing interventions, and treatment.
Share your disease maps in a post conference setting.
Web Assignments Learning Objective(s)
1. Utilizing the Internet, identify a nursing journal article 7
related to acute bronchiolitis/respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)
discussing the incidence and treatment.