MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 9th JULY 2012 AT 7.00 PM IN
THE READING ROOMS
PRESENT: Mrs K Bentley (Chairman) Mrs J Pratt
Mr L Eastwood Ms S Pitts
Mrs M Dewar Mr S Ullyott
Mr M Simpson
APOLOGIES: Miss P Linford
IN ATTENDENCE: Councillor Pollard called into the meeting and a number of issues were raised
with her which she agreed to look into. The chairman thanked her for attending
35 TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST (Code of Conduct 2012) Pecuniary and Non
Ms S. Pitts Item 7(m) Pecuniary
Ms S. Pitts Item 4(g) & 4(j)(ii) Non Pecuniary
Mr S. Ullyott Item 4(j)(ii) Non Pecuniary
Mrs J. Pratt Item 4(d) & 4(j)(ii) Non Pecuniary
36 MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 11 JUNE 2012
The Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 11 May 2012 were signed as a correct record.
Proposed by Mr L. Eastwood, seconded by Mrs J. Pratt and agreed by all.
37 CORRESPONDENCE (REQUIRING DECISION/ACTION)
(a) Code of Conduct
(i)The new Code of Conduct adopted by East Riding of Yorkshire was discussed in
particular the need to display personal information on ERYC and Middleton’s own
website. Members did not agree that as volunteers they should have their personal
information displayed on a public website. However as this was now a legal requirement
the Chairman proposed that the Code of Conduct, as adopted by East Riding of Yorkshire
Council on 4 April 2012 be adopted to take effect as of 1 July 2012, subject to review
following the receipt of further information from the Monitoring Officer/ERYC in relation to
pecuniary and non-pecuniary interests. This was agreed by all. This replaces resolution
(ii) Completed register of interest forms were collected for submission to ERYC any
remaining forms to be submitted by end July.
(iii)The adoption of the new Code of Conduct was to be publicised by a notice in the
Newsletter and a notice on the Parish Notice Board.
(iv) In order to clarify resolution 27(a), it was agreed that if a member had a Pecuniary
interest in an item on the agenda then it was at the discretion of the other members
whether that member left the room. A vote should be taken if necessary
(b) Web site
Following discussions it was agreed to update the website and put a request in the
newsletter for items residents would like to see included and also for entries to put on the
site. Mr M Simpson to assist the Clerk to update site. Councillors asked to look at other
village web sites for ideas.
(c) Accounts to 30 June 2012
Proposed by Ms S Pitts and seconded by Mrs M. Dewar that the three month accounts to
30 June 2012 by signed by the Chairman as a correct record.
(d) Fuel buying Group
Interest in joining the group had been very poor but another article was to be put in the
newsletter later in the year and poster to be made advertising ordering dates. It was
suggested that as many residents used LPG for heating a similar group could be formed.
The clerk to look into whether this was possible.
(e) Village Green
(i) No response had been received from Bishop Burton College about treating the
Japanese Knotweed. A local company Total Weed Control, run by Mick Drury had been
recommended. A site visit had shown 6 patches of Knotweed. A verbal quote had been
Parish Council Meeting July 2012 Page 1
received for stem injecting the Knotweed of £600+VAT including an inspection 2-3 weeks
later with retreatment if necessary. Further visits would be £100+VAT. The company
would deal with all the necessary paperwork with the Environment Agency.
Proposed by Mrs K. Bentley and agreed by all that provided the written quote agreed with
the verbal quote then Total Weed Control should be appointed to undertake the
eradication of the Knotweed.
(ii) Mr Ullyott reported that the cost of a new mower would be £750-£1000. A trade in of
£100 would be obtained for the current mower but it would probably be better to keep it
for spares etc. A new attachment for the old mower was not thought suitable as it would
restrict its use to just a mulching deck. Any decision was put on hold till after (f)(ii) below
(iii)Mrs K Bentley reported that the visit to Mires Beck Nursery had been very useful, the
owner had made several suggestions of the type of plants to use. A plan with
measurements was to be sent to him. Planting was not going to begin till after the
treatment of the Knotweed. Proposed by Mrs M Dewar seconded by Mr S Ullyott that the
Parish council become A Friend of Mires Beck at a cost of £8, this would entitle the
Council to discounts off future purchases.
(f) Grass cutting around village
(i)The chairman reported that the new Headmaster was having problems with the current
contractors cutting the school Playing fields and leaving an area of grass verge along
Warter Road which they had previously cut. Following the Jubilee Celebrations at the
school the area of grass verge near the school has been cut at a cost of £30. A quote to
do this work at the same cost per month till October had been received from Mr D.
Newlove. Agreed by all that this should be accepted. The Headmaster to ensure that in
the future the area is included in the schools cutting contract.
(ii) Many complaints have been received recently about the grass cutting in the village
particular, the piles of grass left all over the village, the length of time the daffodil areas
were left before been cut and the standing nettles left around Orchard Drive Playarea.
Despite been asked the area around the playarea had not been strimmed. Mr S. Ullyott
said that several years ago the strimmer had been taken away from the area where the
lawnmower is stored due to lack of use by Mr Caley. The strimmer was to be put back as
soon as possible.
The Clerk to check with ERNLLCA whether people doing work for the Council should
have their own Public Liability insurance and then check whether the two people that
currently cut grass have the necessary cover.
The Clerk reported that two allotment holders want to give up their allotments. One wants
the Council to clear their allotment at the allotment holders expense as they cannot
manage it, the other one is to clear it themselves. Agreed that Mr Newlove should be
asked to cut down the vegetation and then spray.
One person was interested in renting an allotment following the article in the newsletter
another article to be put in the next edition.
(h) Cemetery Footpath
Mrs K. Bentley and Mr M Simpson had met with representatives from PPC to review work
done by BDS on the footpath. At the time of the visit there was standing water on the
footpath and this was a cause for concern, part of the gate had not been repaired and
another area had not been repaired satisfactorily. The clerk was asked to write to BDS
setting out the above items which had been photographed and await their response as to
how they would be resolved.
(i) Beverley Road
A letter from ERYC was passed round the members. The clerk to request a meeting with
Carl Skelton to discuss the contents.
(i) South Street
(ii) Station Road
It was reported that flooding had taken place in both locations during the recent heavy
rain and several residents had contacted ERYC. The clerk to contact Mr John Harland
(ERYC) to ask what action was being taken.
(k) One Way System
The Clerk read out a recent e-mail from ERYC about the proposed one way system. The
clerk to write back to get clarification of the contents.
Parish Council Meeting July 2012 Page 2
(l) Orchard Drive Play Area
Mr M Simpson confirmed that a sign had been purchased for the play area and that it
would be put up shortly.
(m) Birds of Prey Display at school
The chairman reported that she had met the headmaster at the school and that the Birds
of Prey would be putting on a demonstration at the school on the morning of Tuesday 11
September for the pupils. Residents would be welcome to attend.
(n) Beverley Rural Ward Meeting 27 September 2012
Mrs K Bentley and Mr M Simpson to attend, two questions to be submitted by 31 August
probably on road issues.
(o) Beverley and Rural Community Partnership Meeting 22 August 2012 @ 10.00
Mrs M Dewar and Mr L Eastwood to attend, agenda to be sent to the councillors when
(p) Speed restriction course
It was reported that the speed awareness group only had 5 volunteers and it had been
suggested that there should be a representative from the council in the group. Mrs M
Dewar volunteered to join and a request for other volunteers was to be put in the next
newsletter. Names would then be given to the Community support officer to arrange
38 CORRESPONDENCE (For Information)
(a) Litter picking Group
The Clerk reported that the group had been supplied equipment by ERYC
39 REPORTS/QUESTIONS FROM CHAIR/MEMBERS
Proposed by Mrs K Bentley, seconded by Mrs M Dewar that, apart from cheque No.101639 to
BDS which was to be paid when work satisfactorily completed, that the following be paid. This
was agreed by all.
(a) Clerk’s Salary and Expenses (cheque no: 101630)
Salary £231.32, Cemetery £40.00 £271.32
(b) Jessica Stone (cheque no: 101631)
Newsletter £ 6.00
(c) Emma Cage (cheque no: 101632)
Newsletter £ 6.00
(d) Zach Hudson (cheque no: 101633)
Newsletter £ 12.00
(e) Alma Printers (cheque no: 101634)
Newsletter £ 95.00
(f) P Caley & Son (cheque no: 101635)
Grass cutting May/June 135.00
Petrol 7.89 £142.89
(g) D. Newlove (cheque no. 101636)
Grass cutting on Warter Road £30.00
(h) Middleton on the Wolds Village Hall & Reading Rooms (cheque no.101637)
Room Hire £169.00
` Jubilee room & equipment Hire 15.00
Underpayment previous bill 7.00 £331.43
Parish Council Meeting July 2012 Page 3
(i) ERYC (Cheque no.101638)
VAT on Posts for VNR
(VAT £26.46) £26.46
(j) BDS (Yorkshire) Ltd (cheque no.101639)
Re-surfacing work cemetery footpath
(VAT £ 509.30) To be paid when work finished £3055.80
(k) Friends of Mires Beck (cheque no.101640)
(l) James Brailsford (cheque no.101641)
Grass cutting Cemetery May & June £200.00
(m) S. Pitts (cheque no.101642)
Travelling Expenses Mires Beck Nursery visit £16.29
(n) Direct Debit Plusnet
(VAT £2.17) £12.99
41 POLICE MATTERS
(a) Figures for June 2012
42 PLANNING (APPLICATIONS TO BE DISCUSSED)
43 PLANNING APPLICATIONS APPROVED/REJECTED BY ERYC
44 DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING
The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on Monday 16th July 2012 at 7.30pm in the
Parish Council Meeting July 2012 Page 4